Don't touch

Same argument they made against home taping. We know how for that got, but mp3s are on hard drives and thus can be accessed remotely.

I hate to say it, but if you follow the letter of the law the RIAA is technically correct. I anticipate this will result in a fee being attached to every hard copy and every download purchased to placate. Translation: the cost of listening to music will go up.

I anticipate this will result in a fee being attached to every hard copy and every download purchased to placate. Translation: the cost of listening to music will go up.
We have a small surcharge attached to all blank media which goes to the CRIA?, and can download/record whatever we want for personal use. It is a pretty good system all round.

I wouldn't oppose it either. So long as the surcharge is reasonable, so that (and I cannot resist this phrasing...) those audiophiles who do not store audio files (groan) on their harddrives don't get hosed by it. It doesn't bother me to pay for the music I want, and I keep an extensive collection (between house fires that is) so if the charge were added to the purchaes of the music itself I'll end up paying quite a bit for something I won't use. If it's on the storage media...not so much out of my pocket. I don't own an mp3 player, I don't burn my CDs onto my hard drive, and I don't generally burn too many copies...yet. My primary vehicle doesn't have a CD player installed, so the few I burn are for play in the spouse's vehicle. (My mother copies don't leave the house usually.) Paying the piper, or the lead guitarist, has never bothered me one bit.

I wouldn't oppose it either. So long as the surcharge is reasonable, so that (and I cannot resist this phrasing...) those audiophiles who do not store audio files (groan) on their harddrives don't get hosed by it. It doesn't bother me to pay for the music I want, and I keep an extensive collection (between house fires that is) so if the charge were added to the purchaes of the music itself I'll end up paying quite a bit for something I won't use. If it's on the storage media...not so much out of my pocket. I don't own an mp3 player, I don't burn my CDs onto my hard drive, and I don't generally burn too many copies...yet. My primary vehicle doesn't have a CD player installed, so the few I burn are for play in the spouse's vehicle. (My mother copies don't leave the house usually.) Paying the piper, or the lead guitarist, has never bothered me one bit.

It's on the storage media, and it really is a tiny tiny tiny amount, maybe 1 cent

We already have a surcharge on blank media, analog & digital.

I bought it. I own it. They hold the copyright. Book, movie or music, it's mine to do as I wish as long as I don't share it.

We already have a surcharge on blank media, analog & digital.

I bought it. I own it. They hold the copyright. Book, movie or music, it's mine to do as I wish as long as I don't share it.

True enough. They are alleging that by having it on your hard drive you are pirating it. And in essence you have. You have caused a listenable entity of copyrighted material to be in existence without permission or authority.

I never said I liked the line of thinking, just that it is technically correct.

Guilt by association?

Probably. After the beating they took on cassettes and fouling up their attempt to get piracy monies in that era, I'd bet they'll use a different tactic now.

They're desperate. So little of what they are putting out is worth buying they need the money. Flashes in the pan like Lipps Inc used to hang around for a couple months at least. Now established artists are lucky to stay on the charts longer than a month. Let's face it...ain't nobody gonna predict Carrie Underwear will have the staying power of KISS. The Stones probably move more product in a year than Justin Timberwolf does. Anybody heard anything out of Ruben Studdard since he won American Ipod? Amy Winehouse can't stay sober as long as Nikki Sixx can, or at least can't handle the drugs as well as he did. Zeppelin can re-release their CDs in their 16th boxed set and make a bigger sales dent than Brittany Smears. Somebody even pulled the Eagles out of cryogenic state and milked a CD out of them that's selling better than it ought to.

So little of what they are putting out is worth buying they need the money.

It started in the late 70's. Corporations decides to get involved in music.

The rolling stones-sponsored by BACARDI

zz top-brought to you by LEVIS

yes-in concert, thanks to VERIZON...

etc,etc

Instead of looking for new artists with new sounds they regurgitate pop. I was in LA when the GnR thing took off like a rocket (queen). Literally, within weeks of Mr Brownstone becoming current rotation on KNAC (they still weren't MTV) every band on The Strip were clones. The Motley Crue things was gone. The Priest thing was gone. Only the Metallica/Megadeth crowd stayed true.

A couple of years later, everybody was whining & wearing flannel...I hated the Seattle sound. All of 'em. The only one I could stomach was Soundgarden. RnR was about drinking, youth rebellion & pussy. Suddenly, it was about angst (didn't they ever hear Patty Smith?) & boredon (Crammps?).

Punk became tame & depressed.

There hasn't been much worth listening too in the last 20 years. Hell, even the current reincarnation of Heavy Metal (what, it's 6th or 7th go-round) is mostly 80's bands.

New music with a new sound will generate income. Until then-LONG LIVE bittorrent.

Instead of looking for new artists with new sounds they regurgitate pop. I was in LA when the GnR thing took off like a rocket (queen). Literally, within weeks of Mr Brownstone becoming current rotation on KNAC (they still weren't MTV) every band on The Strip were clones. The Motley Crue things was gone. The Priest thing was gone. Only the Metallica/Megadeth crowd stayed true.

A couple of years later, everybody was whining & wearing flannel...I hated the Seattle sound. All of 'em. The only one I could stomach was Soundgarden. RnR was about drinking, youth rebellion & pussy. Suddenly, it was about angst (didn't they ever hear Patty Smith?) & boredon (Crammps?).

Punk became tame & depressed.

There hasn't been much worth listening too in the last 20 years. Hell, even the current reincarnation of Heavy Metal (what, it's 6th or 7th go-round) is mostly 80's bands.

New music with a new sound will generate income. Until then-LONG LIVE bittorrent.

I mostly concur. I do like Nirvana, but not the stuff on Nevermind so much as Bleach or Incesticide. Soundgarden was tolerable. The rest was insufferable.

There are only so many new ideas. Alice Cooper became Ozzy (solo career) became Blackie Lawless became Dee Snider became King Diamond became Marilyn Manson became Rob Zombie.

I've found a little bit of stuff in the last 20 years worth buying. Most notably Gov't Mule, Kenny Wayne Shepherd (the first 3 CDs anyway), some holdovers like Suicidal Tendencies and Rhino Bucket and Zodiac Mindwarp, some venerables like W.A.S.P. and KISS and Alice Cooper (you really need to give Brutal Plant a listen...) still plugging away, and a handful of new bands like New American Shame and Beautiful Creatures. No it ain't Sunset Strip circa 1986 but what else could be?

I find myself warning people all ther time about peer to peer, torrenting,
and transfering copywrited material all the time.
I even have people call me with questions about how to do stuff that I
just have to tell I don't do it.

Most of the virus cleanup jobs I have to do is because of crap like that.

There hasn't been much worth listening too in the last 20 years.

That's a load of crap. There's been massive amounts of great music over the last 20 years. Of course there's an older generation that would say there's been nothing good since the 50's and you wouldn't agree with that would you?

People get older and quit paying attention so much to new music and think whatever music came out when they were young was the best.

If anything mp3s have allowed small bands to get heard easier instead of everybody having to listen to the same spoon fed bands.

Back