Double contractions?

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Why not?

You can say I'd for I would, and you can say would've for would have.

Can you say I'd've for I would have? Well, I know you can say it, but can you write it?

Why not?

i'd've expected a contractions thread to come from ku'u ;)

it's grammar poor, all them apostrophies get silly.

Well, technically you're not even suppose to write single contractions because it's improper so I'm assuming if you write double/triple, etc contractions your head will get cut off (or something equally horrible)

Originally posted by Luis G
So contractions are incorrect in english? (strictly speakin' :D )

As far as I know, single contractions are okay in informal writing. Droppin' the last 'g', and double contractions like "I'd've" are only okay when writing very colloquially, expecially where you're trying to write like people speak. You wouldn't want to use any type of contraction in your master's thesis, though. (Although you would probably be better off using contractions than taking a position that assumes the existence of an objective reality.)

Since we're on the subject, I've noticed that people will sometimes write "would of" instead of "would've." That's defintely incorrect. I used to do it myself before I achieved grammatical elightenment.

Yeah, in informal writing no one really says anything but proper english (formal writing) contains no contractions.

i'm glad noone checked my masters too hard. i guess calling it 'sacred lights: the methods've lightin' european ecclesiatical archit'ure' was a bad thing in hindsight :D

Back