Drug war casualties and the ludicrousness of mandatory sentencing

jimpeel

Fox did a three part report on the case of Clarence Aaron whose involvement in a 1993 cocaine deal got him three life sentences in federal prison. The people who actually bought, possessed, and sold the drugs got the following:

Watts, who testified he was "a major crack cocaine distributor" who had made more than a million dollars dealing drugs and had six people working for him, was sentenced to 14 years in exchange for his cooperation.

He served seven years and 10 months and was released on April 28, 2000.

Robert Hines, Aaron's childhood friend who asked him to set up the deal, got 10 years, but he served only four years and four months. Two others served less than five years.

Gary Chisholm, the Baton Rouge dealer, was also sentenced to life, but his sentence was reduced to 24 years, 4 months. His release is expected on April 25, 2014.

Aaron will die in prison.

Here are the three parts of the report:

Pt 1 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,461747,00.html

Pt 2 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463410,00.html

Pt 3 http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,464364,00.html

A friend of mine- well respected scientist- got set up and entrapped way back in his younger days by DEA/ Task Force undercover narcs at a Dead show. They talked him into holding a sheet of blotter just long enough so their uniformed cohorts could bust him. The guy doesn't even smoke. He wasn't selling or using, just holding it for them, trying to be a friend. The guy is harmless- no other criminal record- not even one DUI- but he's a felon for life now. He was an easy mark for those who want to be "drug war heroes", but don't have the gonads to go after real criminals. This will go down on your permanent record!

A friend of mine- well respected scientist- got set up and entrapped way back in his younger days by DEA/ Task Force undercover narcs at a Dead show. They talked him into holding a sheet of blotter just long enough so their uniformed cohorts could bust him. The guy doesn't even smoke. He wasn't selling or using, just holding it for them, trying to be a friend. The guy is harmless- no other criminal record- not even one DUI- but he's a felon for life now. He was an easy mark for those who want to be "drug war heroes", but don't have the gonads to go after real criminals. This will go down on your permanent record!

Better to just execute repeat offenders with a minimum amout of appeals. Three strikes and you're out. ;)

Let us see every tax evading corporate swindler shyster lobbyist swinging from a yardarm or the nearest tree limb- that's what the prix are driving it to!
Hanging by their neck-ties until dead!

I recall the late 80's & early 90's with some clarity. I lived in Los Angeles. I lived in Chicago. I lived in Phoenix.

I watched murder rates soar. I watched people kill each other over turf & drugs.

3 strikes was a great solution. It should have been 2 strikes.

A few people got truly screwed. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I've lived in NYC- upper EAST Side, Tahoe and VEGAS- seen people kill each other ovver MONEY, HORSES and TURF-
If the neck-tie feels a bit too tight, you shouldn't have been wearin it.
One Strike and you're out.
If you can't do the crime, don't make a rhyme.

Couldn't really tell what Jim's point was in the OP. Was he trying to say major crack dealers get too much time in prison under mandatory sentencing?

Hard to tell.

Back