dual video question

POStech

I want to have dual monitors here at work. I have one AGP card that supports dual screens. Does the second card have to also support dual screen or can it be any cheap video card?
I know I could get a dual head card but I already have one good card and the second screen is just going to be used for documents so I really don't care about the quality just the price.

I think it can be any video card, just get a cheap one with good drivers or you might have more problems than solutions.

PM Kruz. I've seen him have that kind of setup. He could probably give you a decent primer on how to pull it off.

PM Kruz. I've seen him have that kind of setup. He could probably give you a decent primer on how to pull it off.

The card I am using has dual DVI outputs, so mine was very easy to do.
Before that card I was doing it with the on-board video of the motherboard and a second AGP card installed. both were using the nvidia chipset so there wasn't any driver issues.

It won't work with the onboard one I have as the bios setting in this dell only allow's either the onboard or the card in the AGP. That's why I need two cards. I have a dual head a home and love it.

Install card, enable the new monitor (above where you normally change the resolution), enjoy. You might have to spend a bit of time figuring out which monitor is the primary, depending on how it sees your cards.

I have dual dvi at work, and a three panels via vga at home. Work is a dualhead, home has a dualhead + 8meg PCI; all running 1280x1024. There are software out like UltraMon that will help do things such as mirroring or extending the taskbar to all screens without needing the drivers to support it natively.

now the hard part is finding a PCI video card. everything now is either AGP or PCIe. I've called six local PC shops , nottaone.

If you can't find anything, let me know. I've probably got one or two lying about. Not gonna be 64M cards or anything ... but they'll be fine for text.

Back