Dumb girl without a man question

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
4 bulb bathroom track lighting covered by plastiglass...you know the kind, circa 1970?

Can I put any lightbulb in there? is there a limit do yas think on the voltage?
If I put 60w and 100w bulbs in there...and one of the kids leaves the light on in the middle of the night...am I gonna burn in my sleep?

:tardbang:

Most track lighting "now" uses 40-60 watt bulbs 110-120 voltage.
I'm not sure about the certaim make/model, but I wouldn't feel safe
with anything over 60watt, and if it is expected to stay on for several hours,
I'd recomend 40-55 watt bulbs.

:eh:

*will go lighbulb shopping in the morning*

3 out of the four were dead lol and the last one looks fading

If yer don't wanna sit in the dark while yer on the bog.......bung in what yer got and leave the plastic cover off for tonight.

Otherwise, yeah, 40w to be safe :swing:

*sighs*

AB, those fluorescent lights are waaaaaaaaaay too much $ for a dollar store gal :p

You should've been here when the K-Mart's were closing then, they had them marked down ridiculously 'cause they had about a whole aisle full of them. When the one in nearby Franklin Park closes (it's only a matter of time, I'm sure), maybe I'll nab some for you.

I've got 60s in my bathroom, but it's only a pair. I've found that 40s are pretty typical for that application.

Don't buy light bulbs at the dollar store (unless they're a name brand i.e. GE, Philips, Sylvania, etc.) or at Big Lots. For some reason, they've always seemed to burn out in a few days for me. The el cheapo ones at Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, etc. seem to be better, even though they're not brand-name.

One thing about those flourescents. They may be more dollar up front but they usually pay for themselves in the long run too. Supposed to last much longer than a regular bulb. Not that I use them, I buy the cheapest name brand I can get.

Leslie said:
4 bulb bathroom track lighting covered by plastiglass...you know the kind, circa 1970?

Can I put any lightbulb in there? is there a limit do yas think on the voltage?
If I put 60w and 100w bulbs in there...and one of the kids leaves the light on in the middle of the night...am I gonna burn in my sleep?

:tardbang:

Here's a dumb idea for ya. Take one out, and take it to the store. Buy exactly the same thing.

Oh, and there's no limit on voltage. You can put any voltage you want. But only the 110V will work. Low voltage won't fit, and 240V bulbs aren't sold here.

Professur said:
Here's a dumb idea for ya. Take one out, and take it to the store. Buy exactly the same thing.

Oh, and there's no limit on voltage. You can put any voltage you want. But only the 110V will work. Low voltage won't fit, and 240V bulbs aren't sold here.
Well I would've but there aren't any what's supposed to be in there...there was just a 60 in there that I guess Larry had stuck in?

Pt, I'm the same...and lucky me, across the road the dollar store sells GE ones for 4 for a buck. :lloyd:

Add one more bump on the noggin for Larry when I get ahold of him.

An aside. Be careful with those flourescents. They say you can use them to replace any incandescent bulb, but that's not the case. Most manufacturers recommend against using them in any kind of enclosed globe. They run cooler, but they do produce some heat. But, unlike incandescent bulbs, they can't tolerate heat. They have to stay cool to work right.

They'd prolly not be good in a bathroom enclosed on three sides in plastiglass then lol.

*growl like Tim on home improvement*
Oh Oh Oh....
Put a dimmer switch in, and then you can use 200wat bulbs, and just crank
it up when you need the extra juice. :lloyd:

Another aside on fluorescents: they can not be dimmed AT ALL. I once accidentally only flicked the light switch down halfway instead of all the way. The switch popped back up to "on," but the drop in voltage blew the bulb.

Back