DVD burner fun

Inkara1

So I had thos DVD burner that seemed to read discs fine but wouldn't burn them. Lately, when I'd try to burn a CD with it, it wouldn't work. In Nero, the speed drop-down list was grayed out and was set at 4X (600KB/S), and if I tried to burn with it it would give me an error (and not actually burn anything to the disc so I could use it later).

I replaced it with a Plextor DVD burner and it burned a CD just fine.

What I'm wondering is if it's defenitely defective hardware (I bought it over a year ago so it's too late for RMA... and it burned CDs OK when it was new) or if there's something else wrong.

No... but if the lens is dirty then why was it able to read CDs and DVDs fine and why did the Sony DVD reader/CD burner combo drive burn just fine when it's been opened and closed a lot more, meaning more dust would get in?

some I think, actually have 2 different lasers in the lenses, they stream out at
different angles. It also could need a firmware update, because the newer
cdr disks have change slightly in the magnetic structure, and the may be
a compatibility firmware update.
That's why I switched from the Optirite to liteon. Liteon had the update, but Opti still doesn't.

It burned a disc out of the same 20-pack back when it was new (yeah, I don't burn that often). Unless Staples store-brand discs would vary that wildly in one batch...

What's really wierd...
My optirite still burns dvd-RW fine, it is just hit and miss on dvd+r.

Oh, I have heard that the laser can get weak. I think that happened on one
burner I saw that went bad.
Strong enough yet to read, but not burn right.

Toshiba on XP service pack 2.

I hope it's an isolated example because I put the black-bezel version in my dad's computer.

I bet I may have the same model ...that only does minus format?
I've got some -RWs that it would only burn about half of them right.
I just thought I go a bad batch, but my new liteon reformated them,
and they all but like 2 out of 100 work fine. :confused:

It does + and - but I was trying to burn a CD with it and it wouldn't even start burning at all.

hmm dunno man. I'd still see if there's a firmware. It may have gotten corrupted.
Even if it's the same ver.

If nothing else, it's good I opened up the case to install the new burner. While I had the sides off, I decided to try to turn all the fans with my finger, and I found out my front case fan was FUBARed. I could turn it with my finger but it was damn hard to do so. It was covered with dust, so I figure either dust got inside or the bearing just went out... after 4 1/2 years of mostly constant operation. Luckily, I had another fan sitting around so I put that in and all is good now.

well you see, when that fan on the front quite, the ones in the back Can
pull more dust in through the drive. It depends some on the case design though.
The eye of the drive can also get a film on it. In which case the store bought
cleaner won't do it. You have to pull the cover, and use alcohol, and a q-tip.
It's common mostly on people comps that smoke, but sometimes from condensation.

Back