DVD Burning

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Backing up your DVDs, backing up your games, you know, just keeping track of your stuff is not for the average joe anymore.

This is ridiculous. I bought a DVD burner & it worked great as a CD burner (40x as compared to my16x). So, I take a movie I just bought thinking I'd try backing it up, as an experiment, see how quick & well it worked. lol

No only is the movie disc nearly twice the size of a "dvd" (7.4gb vs 4.7) it's broken down into 3 strange assed extensions. I'd be happy just finding the movie & having that, no need for the extras.

I will, eventually, figure out how to do this but I feel bad for the poor guy who has trouble turning on his computer. Some schomoe goes to Circuit City, plops down a couple of grand for something that sounds outrageous to him (all those numbers must mean something good). He thinks he can back up his kids scratchy video games instead of repairing/replacing them & make backups of his John Wayne collection to DVD & put the originals away. Just kill him now.

The irony is, the whole reason it's so hard to back up is piracy yet the pirates keep cracking the encryption. I've gone searching for ways to back up my games. It adds an hour or so of research to figure out & ten minutes later I'm set. What about the guy who has no idea how to look for this crap.

Time for the labels to change procedures, they only hurt the innocent & make the thieves smarter.

Hey Gonz, you need a program like DVD XCopy to make backups of your movies, something about decoding it, it can also recompress when you burn to make it fit back on one DVD again too.

Gonz said:
Backing up your DVDs, backing up your games, you know, just keeping track of your stuff is not for the average joe anymore.

This is ridiculous. I bought a DVD burner & it worked great as a CD burner (40x as compared to my16x). So, I take a movie I just bought thinking I'd try backing it up, as an experiment, see how quick & well it worked. lol

No only is the movie disc nearly twice the size of a "dvd" (7.4gb vs 4.7) it's broken down into 3 strange assed extensions. I'd be happy just finding the movie & having that, no need for the extras.

The average DVD movie disc is a dual-layer CD. Thats how they get nearly twice the amount of storage on a movie disc. They have dual-layer burners but they are incredibly expensive and if you think DVDRs are bad, I've heard dual-layer media is horrendus.

Like PT said, you need a ripper. DVDs are encrypted to prevent piracy. One must first find and break the encryption before being able to read the disc. Thats why they require newer software to play DVDs, to read the encryption. Once the encryption is broken, the video files must be read (the *.TS files) and then matched with the audio files (yes, they are separate files on the disc). Then the movie can be played.

Software is available to do all this for you, as well as compress the video/audio to make it fit on a 4.7gb disc. XCopy is awesome....it can preserve the menu system and the special features to make it look and work just like the original.

Typically it takes me about 30 mins per disc to back up my DVDs. Instead of taking them over to friends' houses, I make a copy so I don't scratch the original. Saved my ass several times. ;) :headbang:

Gonz.. I use 3 programs to "backup" my DVD's :)
1 to rip & decript it to my harddrive
1 to edit it down to only what I want.
1 to burn it back to DVD.
I use +R discs for data and -Rs for movies (-Rs work in more home dvd players than +Rs do).... for more info on everything you need and where to get it.. try "Clone CD / DVD Forums" read up , download what you need, and try it...

Play your movie on your tv and point a video camera at the screen.... viola! Copied movies.

OLD SCHOOL! Can I get a high five?

unclehobart said:
Play your movie on your tv and point a video camera at the screen.... viola! Copied movies.

OLD SCHOOL! Can I get a high five?
but then you get that MS2000 effect when you can't keep your mouth shut. ;)

DVD DeCrypter & DVD Shrink are great :D

It still goes back to, I know where to look, & it's still a pain in the ass. I feel bad for the average consumer.

Well I'm glad this subject jumped up because I'm in the market for a DVD burner as we speak. Was wondering how rough it was making copies of your own movies.... Hey Gonz have you backed up your games yet and if so is it possible to put multiple games w/copyright protection on a single DVD? I have several legally purchased games such as C&C generals, The Sims and every expansion available, and others just like it!

I've not backed up games, as you describe. As of right now I'm not sure if it's my old equipment or the new one. The DVD+RW's only read in the writer. Look at the clone cd site & as well as Alcohol120's site for info on breaking barriers to copying our own stuff.

I just did a firmware upgrade to my Teac DVD Writer... its now a Pioneer DVR-106D (rev.107)... *My drive was made by pioneer as an OEM drive and rebadged as Teac* doing this, I can now Rip DVD's at 12x . before it was locked at 2.1x and took FOREVER for dvd decripter to get the movie files off the dvd... it also allows me to burn 2x DVD's at 4x (depending on the media)

Sweet Kruz. Nothing better than a free upgrade, especially an unintended one. The IO Magic I got was one of 2 possibilities & I got the crappier one. Hey, it's a start.

DA-I was so frustrated on the DVD problem I overlooked the obvious answer. NO. You can't burn multiple games to a DVD because most of todays games are encrypted plus they have bad sectors on the disc. You have to copy the bad sectors also in order to get it to be usable. Which sucks.

A -R copied & played the movie in every player in the house WOOHOO

Back