DVD burning

Dave

i'm currently using DVD Shrink 3.2 to copy my DVD's.
i dont know if its slow because its a free prog, or if it really takes upwards of 2 hours to encode then copy the DVD. (using Nero to copy)
any recommendations for other programs? doesnt have to be a free one either. just dont want to spend more then $50 if i can help it.

I use DVD shrink 3.2 without any problems. I have 2 DVD burners in my machine and can Rip-Burn 2 movies in 15 minutes.
is this a new burner, or computer?

Video encoding is a HEAVYDUTY application.

Just be patient or shell out for a Monster P-IV duo-core.

new burner.
old computer. she must be showing her age. dont want to shell out for a new one just yet.

thanks

spot what speed processor and how much ram? I swear buy clonedvd and anydvd for all my backups.

yep, that anydvd is good, especially on sony stuff, but it's a little slower on my 3giger.
dvdShrink is faster, but won't do some of the Sony.

I loved dvd-shrink...until i bought one of the last legal copies of DVD X-Copy

samcurry said:
spot what speed processor and how much ram? I swear buy clonedvd and anydvd for all my backups.
its an AMD Athlon XP. its only got 512 ram.

I've only got 512 in mine, but I do have a sata HD w/ncq. It made a diff. when I got it...
a little.

Seems like some movies are just different too. I've copied movies that take half an hour from rip to burned copy, and I've done some that were well over an hour. I know there are varying amounts of data on DVD's, but that doesn't seem to be it, either, it's just some take longer.

I use a combination of Mac-the-Ripper, DVD2One and Toast/Jam for my DVDs. Never had a problem yet.

I used to use DVD shrink and it's a great program, but I think I prefer to use DL DVDs instead of compressing the info. They don't really cost much more right now and, with technology the way it is, I'm sure they'll get even cheaper.

I have a DL burner but have yet to buy a DL disc....can you, for all intents & purposes, do a "copy". The backed up DL will contain all the info available on my original retail disc?

Gonz said:
I have a DL burner but have yet to buy a DL disc....can you, for all intents & purposes, do a "copy". The backed up DL will contain all the info available on my original retail disc?

yes.. it will be an exact copy of the original.

That's what I thought when I bought it...thanks, just checking. Now, if they'd only make 50paks of DVD-DL for $12.99

My Toshiba burner's a piece of crap. It quit being able to burn discs. I've had it for over a year now but rarely burn anything so I don't know how long it's been like that... although when I tried to burn a disc from iTunes a few months back it had trouble while the other burner in my system, a Sony combo DVD reader/CD burner, burned just fine. I thought maybe iTunes was just incompatible with the Toshiba but maybe not. My laptop's got a DVD burner in it but it's useful to have one in the main machine so I broke down and spent the extra to get a Plextor. If that one fails me, I won't know who to trust.

I just hope that my Toshiba's an isolated case because I put a black-bezel version in the computer I built for my dad in June of last year.

nalani said:
unless it needs to be ripped first.

with "ANYDVD" running in the background, the copy protection is automatically removed and a direct copy is possible. also with 2 burners in my system I can copy "on the fly" ripping from one burner to a blank disc in the second burner.

Gonz said:
That's what I thought when I bought it...thanks, just checking. Now, if they'd only make 50paks of DVD-DL for $12.99

no kidding. Around here (in Hilo) the only DLs anyone carries is Verbatim ... they sell it in a 3 pack for $13. I normally buy mine online but when I'm out and can't wait, I'll shell out the money. I just bought a 25 spindle of DVD+R from $12 at Office Max. I needed it *now* ... I hate spending that kind of money when I know where to get it cheaper.

Kruz said:
with "ANYDVD" running in the background, the copy protection is automatically removed and a direct copy is possible. also with 2 burners in my system I can copy "on the fly" ripping from one burner to a blank disc in the second burner.

Yeah I know .. but I run Mac and last I checked, ANYDVD didn't make a driver for Mac just yet. I hope they do soon though. I like Mac-the-Ripper .. I can disable most any action on the DVD and it only takes about 10 minutes to rip. Drop the ts files in Jam as data, select UDF format and I'm all good. :D

Back