ECS K7S5A boot problem

S

s4

I'm putting together a new system. It's an ECS K7S5A with a retail AMD XP2000+, PNY PC2100 ddr, ATI Radeon 7000 with 32 mb ddr.

I can't get the ECS to boot. There is no video, no beeps, no anything except the cpu fan comes on and the keyboard lights will come on fast and go right off when it is turned on. I left the system on for a few minutes to see if the cpu would begin to warm up and it did. I can hear the harddrive power on when the power switch is turned on, but it doesn't sound like it is trying to start up the os, it just makes a noise like it turns on for a second.

I tried some PC133 with the ddr taken out. I tried an old pci video card that I know works. I tried all kinds of combos with the pc133 and the old vid card installed. I took the mb out of the case and tried it. I tried it with no harddrive, video, keyboard, etc...to see if it would beep. The only sound it would make was a short beep a couple of times and now it doesn't even do that.

The PC133 is good because I took it out the system I am typing this message on.

I've run out of ideas. I tried resetting the bios. I tried a different psu (tried a 350 and 400 watt). What else can I try? If there is any way to get it working, I'd rather do it than have to send it back, but I'm afraid it may come to that.

I'm pulling my hair out and don't have much left. :eek:

just went thru the ame thing with an asus board. had to send it back. DOA..
sorry about the bad news with the new board

i'm reading from links that i found on google that a lot of people are having these kinds of problems with this board, some people solve them different ways. one guy said it was his floppy keeping it from booting. i don't even have a floppy drive in the house.

Did you reset the CMOS before you began? Some mobos come with NO values stored in the CMOS, so you have to perform a reset and get them to their factory-set values. Are there any square 4-pin plugs on the motherboard that look like they'd be a part of an ATX-power connector, or any 6-pin plugs that look like they'd be a part of an AT-power connector? If so, try to find the plug on your PSU that goes to it. This adds another 12v source to your mobo for stability. (Why there are 2 different forms of it, I'll never know, but on my power supply there are 5 different kinds of connectors... floppy, 4-pin flat, 4-pin square ATX-ish looking, 6-pin AT-ish looking, and ATX power connector, it says both of the odd connectors are for extra 12v sources for motherboards)

there aren't any extra connectors on the board

this board is kind of a cheapie

one other thing that i neglected is that the power will come on when i push the button on the front of the case but it will not shut off by pressing the button again

You usually have to hold the power button in for 4 seconds.

Do you have any other AMD cpu's you could throw in there?

Is your PC speaker hooked up correctly? (Is the speaker even operational?)

If it wasn't hooked up correctly you might not be hearing error beeps that the board would give you

I'm going to take the speaker out of my other system and try it, but I don't want to remove the cpu from this system because it is working great and don't want to take a chance on messing it up.

I'll try holding the power switch for few seconds to see if it works.

I just sold a pc with the same board installed and it was perfect. I used it for several months without one error.

Is it possible the video wont come on if there is no floppy drive installed? It seems to be trying to access the cdrom over and over.

The CD-ROM drive light stays lit? That can be a sign there's not enough power getting to the board and it keeps resetting itself, thus resending the signal to turn on to all the hard drives. Can you put one of the 350 or 400w power supplies in your current one to see if the PSU itself works?

I'll try that.

I noticed that if the cdrom door is open, it will close it when the power is turned on. I have to wonder if the bios doesn't have a 1.44 floppy installed by default and is looking for it.

Most BIOSes usually do, but don't halt if they don't find one. That kind of stuff is reserved for when it doesn't find a fan on the CPU or something.

i think you might be right about it not getting enough power because it gives a faint beep when it first boots

I had the same problem and even bought another ECS K7S5A and did the same thing. Finally I had a friend check it out and tried it with another AMD XP chip and it worked. I've had the system crash every now and then though. I'll never buy ECS again.:grumpy:

Welcome to the board!

I tried both an XP2000 and a XP1800 before giving up. I spent a whole weekend trying to get it functional to no avail. I requested a Gigabyte in exchange.

Thx.

I'm running XP2000 300W PS and 256MB SDRAM. The good thing is its jumper less. The bad thing is since I got it running, its been crashing every other day. Hope you have better luck.:)

i took the xp2000 and put it in my other system...the new system is going to have my old xp1800 in it which is pretty new.

it could be your psu, have you checked your voltages to see if they are ok? the temps?

Back