Electricity question

Jeslek

Banned
If you use another phase wire instead of the neutral in say an electrical outlet and end up with 240 volts, does that mean your power is two phase? And if you have two phase power, does that mean you have three wires supplied (one neutral, two phase wires)?

No screw that, it means it is a delta system right? Three phase, because the higher nominal voltage is double the lower one.

The usual power fed to home circuits is sent to the mains as 240V with a neutral. The neutral is the center tap of the 240V transformer winding, thus there is 120v from each + to the neutral, and 240V betwen the two + taps. All the power comes from a single phase and this is known as split phase. The voltage difference when each tap is at maximum is 240 volts peak to peak and zero when each tap crosses the zero reference point, the 2 + taps are 180 degress apart btw. On another not theres no such thing i ever heard of called 2 phase.

180 degrees apart? Isn't it 120 degrees?

So, if I can use two wires (not including the neutral) to get 240 volts I have three phase power?

Well, I just get a bit puzzled how it can be 180 degree is you say it is three phases. I mean, 120 x 3 = 360.

Oh and it works alright, I got 240 volts out.

There was a post between 11 and 12. Anyways, I'm going to ask a local electrician. I'm so confused now. :retard4:

Yep, single phase is in some ways a two phase system, just not called that. As justin said earlier, there are two taps that are 180 deg. phase shifted, with a possible 240V between taps.

Ah figured it out. Homes have two phase electricity. The breaker box is wired so that each side uses one phase. A double breaker uses both. Using one tap gives you 110 volts. Using the two taps give you 220 volts. :D

Back