ESPN presents Monday Night Football

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
April 19, 2005

NEW YORK -- ''Monday Night Football'' will move to ESPN starting with the 2006 season, ending a historic 35-year run on ABC that helped reshape sports broadcasting by transforming pro football into a prime-time event.

Sun-Times

First it was How the Grinch Stole Christmas, now MNF...what's next, It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown?

Here's what's got me confused.

ABC didn't want to pay a whole bunch more for MNF since they were losing a bit of money on it as is. So ESPN swoops in and pays double for it.

I'm confused because ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney.

I'm also not sure what to think of the fact that NBC will be showing the Sunday Night game now... which could possibly be a tape-delayed version of a morning or afternoon game if it's a more intruguing matchup based on the teams' performances during the course of the season (instead of being pre-determined before the season when every team is 0-0). It's possible I'll know the outcome of the game before it even kicks off on the TV.

Inkara1 said:
I'm also not sure what to think of the fact that NBC will be showing the Sunday Night game now... which could possibly be a tape-delayed version of a morning or afternoon game if it's a more intruguing matchup based on the teams' performances during the course of the season (instead of being pre-determined before the season when every team is 0-0). It's possible I'll know the outcome of the game before it even kicks off on the TV.

Hadn't heard that part. That would blow.

Back