Ethernet card...

Aunty Em

Well I got my nic this morning and bunged it in the computer. It installed without even telling me on 2k... I was expecting at least a pop-up to let me know it had been found, so I checked in Device Manager and it was there. Anyway, I rebooted and no connection, so I rang tech support and the guy told me I needed to reboot the modem which I did and then we checked the connection was working OK... it's really strange not seeing the modem listed in DM.

Anyway, it seems to have stopped the modem from disconnecting itself. It also seems to have cured a small problem which I hadn't realised was associated with it, that of the modem disconnecting itself when waking from standby... now I realise it was part of the same problem. I just thought it was something to do with 2k, not the Via drivers.

It took me a while to get there but it's turned out OK in the end. :)

glad you worked it out, besides, now you don't need to use crappy usb modem drivers :D

Well, I was going to network my computers anyway, so I just have to get another card and a router when I come back from holiday. I've just been too busy to get it done up till now.

I'm really pleased cos it hasn't disconnected all day. So much for usb being the best connection... at least that's what the tech told me when he installed the cable. :rolleyes:

Aunty Em said:
I'm really pleased cos it hasn't disconnected all day. So much for usb being the best connection... at least that's what the tech told me when he installed the cable. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story: don't trust "the techs", they usually know shit.

:lol:

I get the impression that they just fob you off with any old thing just to get rid of you. :)

It was quite funny this morning 'cos he asked me if I had an ethernet cable... ?( I couldn't think what he meant for a moment, then I said... "Oh you mean a Cat5e patch cable?" You could've heard a pin drop... I don't think he was expecting that. :)

well, you could have said: "ohh you mean the UTP RJ-45 CAT5e cable?, sure i have one of those". ;)

Aunty Em said:
It installed without even telling me on 2k... I was expecting at least a pop-up to let me know it had been found, so I checked in Device Manager and it was there.

I still like 2k the best myself.;)
Although xp is starting to get better with all the updates on it too.

I believe XP is based on 2k. Maybe by the time they update to the next OS I will be ready to upgrade to XP. :)

Actually I was wondering... as I'm now connecting to the modem via the nic does that mean I no longer need the modem drivers?

Back