Even the Germans

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
have had enough of the lefts :bs:

BERLIN - Exit polls showed conservative challenger Angela Merkel's party leading in German parliamentary elections Sunday, but falling short of the majority she needs to form a center-right coalition.

One step in the right direction for the Germans. Not only conservative but a female. Even in the EU it takes conservatism to make changes.

Source

Gonz said:
One step in the right direction for the Germans. Not only conservative but a female. Even in the EU it takes conservatism to make changes.
Main Entry: 1con·ser·va·tive
Pronunciation: k&n-'s&r-v&-tiv
Function: adjective
1 : PRESERVATIVE
2 a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism : as (1) : of or constituting a party of the United Kingdom advocating support of established institutions (2) : PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE
3 a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : TRADITIONAL b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners <a conservative suit>
4 : of or relating to Conservative Judaism

In other words, resistant to change. :shrug:

As always, the words mean what they mean regardless of individual interpretation. It just happens to be the popular buzzword, so everyone keeps interpreting it to mean what they say it means and the sheep blindly follow.

chcr said:
In other words, resistant to change. :shrug:

As always, the words mean what they mean regardless of individual interpretation. It just happens to be the popular buzzword, so everyone keeps interpreting it to mean what they say it means and the sheep blindly follow.

Nice try, but the only one of those definitions that meet fit the bill is

2 a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism

Now, for my next trick,

lib·er·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
Morally unrestrained; licentious.

n.
A person with liberal ideas or opinions.

:D

con·ser·va·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-sûrv-tv)
adj.
Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.

Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
Conservative Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
Conservative Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.

n.
One favoring traditional views and values.
A supporter of political conservatism.
Conservative A member or supporter of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
Archaic. A preservative agent or principle.

Skew it any way you like, but there are your definitions. ;)

So then the supporter of a conservative party need not be conservative at all. In fact, they can evidently be liberal.

How... confusing.

*Note that I remain unconfused and unconvinced. It's still changing the root meaning of the word in the name of expediency.*

chcr said:
So then the supporter of a conservative party need not be conservative at all. In fact, they can evidently be liberal.

How... confusing.

*Note that I remain unconfused and unconvinced. It's still changing the root meaning of the word in the name of expediency.*

How did the root change? Looks the same to me. The only difference is that your definition was based on the archaic (meaning no longer used) definition, and mine is more up to date.

You were extremely liberal in that definition, anyway. :D

Gato_Solo said:
How did the root change? Looks the same to me. The only difference is that your definition was based on the archaic (meaning no longer used) definition, and mine is more up to date.

You were extremely liberal in that definition, anyway. :D
:p :lol:

Gato_Solo said:

I'm sure the folks at Mirriam-Webster shall immediately take note.

BTW, the first line in your definition:
Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
You're right, that's just the opposite of:
chcr said:
In other words, resistant to change.

In other words...

chcr said:
:p :lol:

I'm sure the folks at Mirriam-Webster shall immediately take note.

BTW, the first line in your definition:

You're right, that's just the opposite of:

In other words...

Yep. Too bad I didn't highlight that one, eh? :D

Merriem Webster

Main Entry: 2conservative
Function: noun
1 a : an adherent or advocate of political conservatism b capitalized : a member or supporter of a conservative political party
2 a : one who adheres to traditional methods or views b : a cautious or discreet person

Ain't nothing there 'bout change. The conservatives were the majority vote in just about every legal change in our history, including 1964. The liberals like to hide behind "don't label me" & "don't call me a liberal".

Meanwhile in the US we've had enough of the rights...Bush facing more investigations, Approval rating down in the dumps, and the majority of Americans now realizing that Iraq was a mistake.

flavio said:
Meanwhile in the US we've had enough of the rights...Bush facing more investigations, Approval rating down in the dumps, and the majority of Americans now realizing that Iraq was a mistake.

:spam3:

Are you eating to get over the emotional pain? You could have a disorder.

images

Democratic Lt. Gov. Tim Kaine won a solid victory in GOP-leaning Virginia, beating Republican Jerry Kilgore by more than 5 percentage points. Democrats crowed that Bush's election-eve rally for the former state attorney general only spurred more Kaine supporters to the polls.

Looks like GW scares 'em still. A 6-point Dem victory in NJ is hardly anything to crow about.

Back