Everything old is new again

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Balck Sabbath members form new band

Now, I like me some Ronnie James Dio. Holy Diver is probably one of my favorite five albums of all time, top ten at least. The Heaven And Hell album is a classic. His stint in Rainbow was cool too.

I like me some Sabbath too. Great band, pioneered the genre, fully worthy of all the accolades and hubbub.

These guys might even manage to squeeze out a better-than-average album. Dio's pipes should still be OK, Iommi can still manage three chords per song, and Geezer will forever be one of the coolest and least recognized icons of rock and roll.

However, I can't imagine paying to see them hobble about a stage between gasps from an oxygen tank and shots of bi-carb or whatever. I mean, "Appearing tonight, for one show only...BLACK SABBATH (sponsored by Geritol)" just don't do it for me. Hell, even Gene Simmons finally got too old and is making money hand over fist somewhere else now.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? Give-a-damns?

Cool beans! I loved 'Mob Rules'... and Dio still has it. I had no idea it was happening and yet I changed my 'location' just last night to waiting on a line for Dio tickets. It must have been a psychic/dejavu crossover of some kind.

On my MP3 phone of 99 songs, at least 5 are Dio and 3 are Sabbath. The last time I saw Dio was during his Sacred Heart tour. He does one hell of a show... but he sure is a short lil' fucker.

He is the last shining beacon of the older era when music was more important that the 'look'. God knows Dio is one of the few people in music that might actually be uglier than Joe Cocker.

Unc, I submit for your consideration....

lemmy.jpg

LEMMY!!!!

Dio is 64 Mf'ing years old! Holy hell! Probably everyone else in the band is in their 60's as well. I can't believe the tour de force of heavy metal are about to file for geriatric school tax exemption.

We the fans ain't exactly spring chickens any longer either. I guess the Spinal Tap days are here after all, huh?

*passes unc some Icy Hot*

Icy Hot is too ineffective. I like this muscle rub that I get from CVS. It has a 3 way combo of 4% camphor, 10% menthol, and 30% methyl salicylate. Its a nice and smooth, but very strong heat that lasts a good 45 minutes.

Yes... but a slight drawaback of occasionally causing slight skin injuries when held back there for a few hours.

Do I smell bacon?

Dio is 64 Mf'ing years old! Holy hell! Probably everyone else in the band is in their 60's as well. I can't believe the tour de force of heavy metal are about to file for geriatric school tax exemption.

his first band was 'ronnie and the red hats' in the late 50s. somewhere there's a site that has some early recordings... not exactly sabbath. there's a couple of Elf albums he did that are pretty cool. and then elf essentially became rainbow.

yeah i saw him last on the sacred heart tour. the 'dungeons and dragons' kinda themes are kinda silly but it's pretty good rock and roll.

Heaven & Hell...greatest Sabbath since Master of Reality (possibly Vol 4)

That whole generation needs to sit the fuck down. If they want to be involved in music, then they could produce. Hell, even Godsmack & Disturbed are getting a little long in the tooth.

Last week, in the local rag-enertainment section-New Shows-Regional was a listing for Guns n Roses. Top price $137.50, in Detroit. Doesn't Axl know he's yesterdays news?

Icy Hot is too ineffective. I like this muscle rub that I get from CVS. It has a 3 way combo of 4% camphor, 10% menthol, and 30% methyl salicylate. Its a nice and smooth, but very strong heat that lasts a good 45 minutes.

sounds like you are rubbing super-duper carmex all over
CarmexJarOpen.jpg

Carmex has menthol and camphor.. but probably not nearly as high a %age. God knows it doesn't have methyl salicate in it. That stuff would wreak havoc in ones mouth.

Back