Ex-FEMA chief faults Homeland for slow response

catocom

Yeah, this Brown guy was one of the worst appointees that Bush has made.
He admits to making mistakes, but then wants to turn and point the finger.

catocom

What I'm not getting at this point is why the cleanup hasn't gotten farther along than it is. :confused:

Professur

catocom said:
What I'm not getting at this point is why the cleanup hasn't gotten farther along than it is. :confused:

Simple. No motivation. The people who should be there rebuilding are living it up in Atlanta hotels

chcr

Too cute for words
I knew FEMA was in trouble as soon as they put it under "Homeland Security." FEMA needs to be a separate department. Working with Homeland Security when necessary but not part of it. Now, given that FEMA now operates under the auspices of Homeland Security and given the recent record, anyone besides me worried that the "homeland" probably isn't really all that secure?

catocom

Professur said:
Simple. No motivation. The people who should be there rebuilding are living it up in Atlanta hotels
not in AL, and MS. :confused:

I think the problem wasn't fema being under HS in the whole sense.
Brown showed an evident problem with authority. It seemed to me that he really dislikes Chertoff.
He basically said as much at the hearings.

I like Chertoff myself.
I think the moneys are getting diverted to the wrong places somehow now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Brown is a scapegoat. Unqualified, perhaps but a scapegoat none the less. He's doing what EVERY Washington worker does-passes the buck.

New Orleans was not destroyed bya hurricane. It was destroyed by incompetent government, starting at the very most local levels (the idiot Mayor is still pissing & moaning). The Governor stopped federal assistance. The Mayor stopped federal asistance. The city flooded, as had been forewarned, because of faulty levees.

Brown is out of a job. Why is he testifying to anybody about anything, except to be made the martyr.

catocom

I don't remember the exact wording, but..listening to the hearing..
he said "when he did a response to the hurricanes in FL 2003, he was asked what he
needed." He said, and these are his words..."Keep HS off my back".
So now this time he wants to blame them. That just doesn't jive with me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The logical follow up to his non-quote is...did they get off his back or were there follow up meetings to discuss rank & chain of command?

catocom

yep, he basically said they left it to him, and he got the job done.

I'll try to find a transcript....

Winky

chcr said:
" FEMA needs to be a separate department."

FEMA along with hundreds of other government giveaway program departments
needs to be done away with.

Why should I have to pay a dime for those idiots in LA

Let their state government pay for them.

Stop and think,
people are pisin' and moanin' cuz they ain't gettin' enough free shit
handed to ‘em

Fook em'

catocom

Winky, even like the people in AL gulf coast, they had insurances and stuff,
but you gotta have a place, and the means to carry all the debris somewhere. (stuff like that)
It's still piled up there.
It's not all about NO.

Professur

Winky said:

Stop and think,
handed to ‘em

Fook em'

don't make me give you good karma.

catocom

Gonz said:
New Orleans was not destroyed bya hurricane. It was destroyed by incompetent government, starting at the very most local levels (the idiot Mayor is still pissing & moaning). The Governor stopped federal assistance. The Mayor stopped federal asistance. The city flooded, as had been forewarned, because of faulty levees.
Don't get me wrong, I believe the governor of NO needs share in the blame game too.
I think She dropped the ball worse than Brown, as far as preparation of evacuations.
But that's just the NO aspect.

People in AL, and MS are working there asses off still, but running out of resources.

chcr

Too cute for words
Winky said:

Stop and think,
handed to ‘em

Fook em'
While I agree about it being a "giveaway" department the way it is, there needs to be a Federal Emergency Management Agency to deal with and coordinate relief that states can't handle for whatever reason. Like everything else in the republicans (or the democrats, oh look, another similarity) "smaller is better" ( :lol: ) government, it needs to be streamlined and run by competent people.

Professur

chcr said:
While I agree about it being a "giveaway" department the way it is, there needs to be a Federal Emergency Management Agency to deal with and coordinate relief that states can't handle for whatever reason. Like everything else in the republicans (or the democrats, oh look, another similarity) "smaller is better" ( :lol: ) government, it needs to be streamlined and run by competent people.

Competent people don't kiss ass enough to get the job.