Expert on eating disorders arrested for allegedly inhaling propellant

Professur

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A psychologist who has spoken out on eating disorders and other issues was arrested after she collapsed in a supermarket, allegedly after inhaling propellant from whipped cream cans.

Lisa Berzins, who has been interviewed on television and in newspapers and successfully lobbied for a state law regulating claims by weight loss businesses, was arrested on a warrant charging her in the May 29 incident.

Berzins, 49, has written and lectured on eating disorders, female development, sex roles and self-esteem, according a speaker's biography from the American Psychological Association. She has visited schools in a "fat suit" to bring a message to young people about the fear of being overweight.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, West Hartford police were called to the Farmington Avenue Stop & Shop and found Berzins lying on the floor and bleeding from her head. Berzins, the affidavit says, told police she did not know what happened.

Investigators concluded that Berzins inhaled from three cans of whipped cream containing nitrous oxide, known as laughing gas, the affidavit said.

Berzins was charged with possession of a restricted substance, criminal mischief and creating a public disturbance. She was released on $500 bail and is to appear in Hartford Superior Court on July 21.

"These are only allegations," Bob Ludgin, Berzins' lawyer, told the Hartford Courant. "My client is innocent unless convicted. I have confidence that there will be no convictions."

A spokesman for the state Department of Public Health said Berzins has no prior disciplinary actions.

In 1996, the state passed a law, described as the first of its kind, to ban untruthful advertising claims by companies promoting diets and weight loss programs. It had been pushed by Berzins and state Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

source

Wonderful. Now we have psycho-babble experts high on whipped creme writing laws. Fucking fantastic.

Berzins was charged with possession of a restricted substance, criminal mischief and creating a public disturbance.

:rolleyes: Yet another ridiculous story, as usual :lol:

I'd venture to guess huffing on something that will NOT leave a bunch of white stuff all over his face...

Berzins was charged with possession of a restricted substance

From that I gather she was already on some kind of drug as NO2 ain't restricted and unless the cows have been grazing on Marijuana , Wipped Cream isn't restricted either.

A.B.Normal said:
From that I gather she was already on some kind of drug as NO2 ain't restricted and unless the cows have been grazing on Marijuana , Wipped Cream isn't restricted either.

Depends on what it's used for, now innit? You can have 350HP in a bottle...as long as it's for use in your 442, but, any other use requires a medical license (it's an anesthetic) or a Hazcom letter from the feds (it's a hazardous substance according to IATA, ICAO, the DOT, etc). ;)

Gato_Solo said:
Depends on what it's used for, now innit? You can have 350HP in a bottle...as long as it's for use in your 442, but, any other use requires a medical license (it's an anesthetic) or a Hazcom letter from the feds (it's a hazardous substance according to IATA, ICAO, the DOT, etc). ;)
Then shouldn't the charge be "use" and not "possesion" as anyone who buys a can of whipped cream is in possession .I know its semantics but since its a criminal charge I would assume you'd want something that can't be challenged.

A.B.Normal said:
Then shouldn't the charge be "use" and not "possesion" as anyone who buys a can of whipped cream is in possession .I know its semantics but since its a criminal charge I would assume you'd want something that can't be challenged.

Nitrous Oxide is not used as a propellant in whipping cream. At least not in any whipped cream I've seen. :shrug: Looks like I'll have to start checking labels. It also never states, exactly, what the restricted substance was. We could both be wrong in focusing on the NO2...

BTW...cows don't fart NO2, either. It's CH4. ;)

A.B.Normal said:

Ahem...please use my entire quote. ;)

me said:
Nitrous Oxide is not used as a propellant in whipping cream. At least not in any whipped cream I've seen. :shrug: Looks like I'll have to start checking labels.

Damned liberals. :p

On a side note...how many HP is one can of whipped cream propellant good for, and how come I didn't know this when my cars all had carbs? :mope:

:shrug: = I didn't know either ,but its just what I read.

fu3.gif
= Your wrong ,I'm right.

:evilgrin:

She should also be charged with theft since she was consuming something that didn't belong to her.

AB, Our fed law probits the use of a product other than in the manner for which it was intended.

Back