FCAT Tests

Mare

Gee Thanks to Jebb, all the 3rd graders in FLA have to pass this test at the end of the school year. If they do not pass they can be retained for up to 2 yrs.

Spot said:
that sounds familiar....

(we have the MCAS tests here...same concept)
YEP-back in Jersey they have another test-I remember My oldest was going to have to take it-BUT it wasnt until 4th grade. Its so backwards down here.

i remeber taking tests in middle and high schools back home. i didnt knwo Fl had younger kids taking tests like that. good luck to your kids mare! get them to study hard!

i think it's a good thing. it doesn't help children to be passed up grades when they aren't learning....just digs them a deeper hole. easier to help them if you catch the problem early....no more 17 year olds that can't read or do simple math.

I fully agree with tonks...I'd rather they fail and be kept back in grade three than find out they can't read in grade 7 :retard:

Our esteemed & wonderous public school system doesn't hold children back...at all. "It hurts their self esteem" (GAG). They do however have ISTEP in 3rd, 7th & 10th. All high schoolers must pass all portions to receive a diploma. (they have multiple chances). So, you won't be held back when it's easier to catch up but you won't graduate because they wouldn't hold you back :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I don't agree with what the education system is doing-AS LONG AS THEY ARE SUPPLYING THE HELP FOR THE CHILDREN THEY NEED. But, when you get a child whom has been in a program in one education system and then placed in another states education system WITHOUT the proper knowledge or test scores from the prior school -it makes it hard for the child to understand and catch up.
Therefore, was brought to my attention that MY child was in need of even MORE extra help to study for these tests that he will be having to take here in Florida because in Jersey they were to low funded and cheap to supply my child with the knowledge of a good education!
Shame - Damn Shame....
Thank God for computers and home study with a parent, to prepare a child for these tests.

Back