Feeling frustrated....

Aunty Em

Waaaaaa, I can't stand it any longer I NEED an upgrade! :crying4:

All this family shit has delayed it. I have my mobo and memory, but have got to wait for the case, fans, processor and heatsink until AT LEAST next sunday and I'm dying of frustration..... and to top it all I may not be able to afford the processor or case I wanted now. :mope:

When I was building my first machine, I thought I had the case all picked out...then due to a delay I started looking at cases again, just for something to do and I found one I liked even better. Maybe you should go hunting again.

I've looked on the net and in the local computer shop. Next sunday is the monthly computer fair and prices are lower because they don't have the overheads that the shops do so I'm hoping to find one without a psu but with the lights and a top blow hole a bit cheaper.

It also looks like I will have to get an XP2200+ rather than an XP2400+ as it's £40 cheaper or I may not be able to afford a good heatsink for it.:(

My new mobo is an Abit KD7-e with 256MB of Crucial 2100DDR-Ram. I hope to be able to get another 256 in a month or 2.

I don't suppose there's really much difference between a 1.8 and a 2 GHz processor.... except prestige of course...

Yeah, and the prestige fades fast. The one gigs were the fastest chip out when I bought mine.

Well I went for a stroll round the internet and bought my cpu and heatsink ~ well how could I not since they were on special offer?

I got an XP 2200+ (Tbred) and a GlobalWin FSP82 for£104.52 inc next day delivery from www.aria.co.uk on special today ~ that means I should receive them on Tuesday I would think.

Heatsink

The Akasa I wanted is too big for my board.

Just need to sort out a case now...

Aunty Em said:
I may not be able to afford the processor

Get a mobo that handles what you can afford & what you want. Buy the cheaper now & prices will drop & you'll have a reason to build another one for...

Supports AMD-K7 Duron/ Athlon / Athlon XP Socket A with 200/266/333MHz FSB Processors

Get an XP2200 for about $110. & some lower end ram. Nice start & you can ugrade as affordable. About $200. plus the board & you're scooting right along.

Yep, I ordered a 2200+ @ £86.95 ($141.38) inc tax on special @ www.aria.co.uk ~ it was the cheapest I could find either in my local shops or online. Unfortunately you have to add at least 1/3 to the price over here on US prices usually. :(

The 2400+ is £126.43($205.57) @ www.komplett.co.uk so big difference ~ prices haven't really fallen much in the last 2 months over here.

The Crucial ram is more expensive but I won't have campatibility problems when I need some more as I might have had with generic ram. Plus it's better for over-clocking.

Hopefully its a Tbred B cored 2200+, majority atm are A's though :( prolly get 1.93Ghzish from it, the B's are really good, i get 2.64Ghz off my 2700+ and 2.25GHz off my 2100+, just wish i was deaf so i could stand the noise generated to cool the 2.64Ghz as it needs 1.85V and the 92mm fan @ full rpms, 2.48 @ 1.75V and the fans close to silent are fine for now :tardbang:

Justintime said:
Hopefully its a Tbred B cored 2200+, majority atm are A's though :( prolly get 1.93Ghzish from it, the B's are really good, i get 2.64Ghz off my 2700+ and 2.25GHz off my 2100+, just wish i was deaf so i could stand the noise generated to cool the 2.64Ghz as it needs 1.85V and the 92mm fan @ full rpms, 2.48 @ 1.75V and the fans close to silent are fine for now :tardbang:

Well it's on it's way so I'll know when it gets here, unfortunately it doesn't say in the blurb.

Isn't overclocking done via fsb on TBreds? Or is there a way to unlock them?

UPDATE:- UNLOCKING THOROUGHBRED 2200+ OR JUST A WORKAROUND??
Many 13.5X Tbred 2200+ systems refused to boot, or mobo/bios were unable to reset the Multiplier to lower settings for oc'g with Host Clock higher than 133Mhz, even though L1 bridges interfacing to the mobo were closed.
Then xtremesystems.org discovered that closing the 3 open L3 bridges enabled systems to not only boot at 11X, but also enabled mobo/bios to reset Multipliers from 5X thru 12.5X, (range where only the lower 4 Bit Values are reset).
Pcstats.com had also solved a similar 13X Palomino 2100+ problem by hard modding Multiplier bridges to 10.5X, which reset its new 5th 8X default HI Bit Value to LO, from L10 = open/closed to closed/open. So the new L10 bridge pair was interpreted as an "unlocking switch". Closing Tbred 2200's 3 individual open L3 bridges, which also resets its 8X Bit Value from HI to LO by closing its rightmost L3 bridge, is also being called the way to "unlock" its Multiplier.
But unlocking the Multiplier has meant closing open interfacing L1 bridges which then allows mobo/bios to reset all Multiplier Bit Value settings, while modifying the Palomino's L10 and Tbred's L3 Multiplier bridges actually resets the 8X Bit Value from default HI to LO, and the 8X Bit Value is probably still locked, but LO.
So the popular interpretations are misleading, the L10 bridge pair and L3 bridges mods are workarounds for mobo/bios unable to reset only the 8X Bit Value from default HI to LO. Problem may have begun when 4 bit Duron/Tbird Multiplier code changed to 5 bit Palomino code, some legacy mobo/bios with 4 interfacing circuits obviously unable to reset the 5th 8X Bit Value. Others may not yet have bios with updated CPU ID info or translation Tables for Multipliers higher than 12.5X, we may never know all the reasons. The mod discoveries are noteworthy and work, but understanding the true nature of the problem suggests other workarounds to enable similar 5X thru 12.5X mobo/bios control of the Multiplier.

Fill and close only the rightmost 8X L3 bridge. Or connect a single wire from Socket A pin AJ27 to a 100 ohm resistor screw grounded to external case, as in PCB Multiplier mod above. Either should be easier than filling and closing 3 L3 bridges. System should boot at 5.5X with the same 5X thru 12.5X mobo/bios control as the 3 bridge mod booting at 11X.

Update 6/30/02:- Deerhunter's Thread at xtremesystems.org reported closing only the rightmost 8X Bit Value L3 bridge with a conductive trace around its cut, no insulating fill, then booting to 5.5X with Multiplier control from 5X thru 12.5X available from bios, but 13X and higher not working.
Supports issue of problems between some mobo/bios and 8X Bit Value circuit, and validates the single 8X L3 bridge Tbred 2200+ workaround. Also supports single wire mod

heheh

btw, with this 2700+ i have most available multipliers from 13X up, since higher speed XP's are unlocked from default and up.

Aunty Em said:
I got an XP 2200+ (Tbred) and a GlobalWin FSP82 for£104.52 inc next day delivery from www.aria.co.uk on special today ~ that means I should receive them on Tuesday I would think.

Nice purchases! I've got that heatsink, and it's pretty decent. I actually tried it with the 60 > 80mm adaptor off and a Delta 7000RPM 60mm fan on - the 80mm fan cools a LOT better than the Delta, IMO.

Jon

Jon said:
Aunty Em said:

Nice purchases! I've got that heatsink, and it's pretty decent. I actually tried it with the 60 > 80mm adaptor off and a Delta 7000RPM 60mm fan on - the 80mm fan cools a LOT better than the Delta, IMO.

Jon

I shall see what happens when I put them all together after I get a new case. I particularly wanted a reasonably quiet fan, with a decent cfm.

Back