Financial Aid

Inkara1

Well, I'd finally gotten things figured out financially, so I could keep my bills paid and be able to survive on my income. Things would be tight, especially for the rest of this month, but I could do it.

Then yesterday I checked my mail and in it was a check for $1,616 from Fresno State that said "financial aid disbursement." I went to the financial aid office to find out exactly what I got and why, because I didn't get any info beforehand. I'd applied late for the Fall 2002 semester, so I didn't think I'd get anything.

Anyways, it turns out I got some grants, so I don't have to pay back the money. The $1,616 is AFTER the university fees are deducted. But since the fees were already paid, I can apply for a refund of that money. I also found out that the check I got yesterday is for the fall semester, that is finifhing up this week. That means I'll get another check for about the same amount a week or so before classes start.

So with the financial aid check, I paid a crapload of money to Capital One to significantly lower the balance on my card, I started up a joint savings account with Brandi so we now have a joint asset besides the apartment, and we went grocery shopping to stock up on things we really needed but haven't had in weeks or months. I'm also using some of it to pay bills that are due before the top of the month early, so that when the top of the month comes we'll just have to take care of rent.

So now hopefully gray hairs will be coming to me a bit more slowly now. :D

nice to see you are already having a nice christmas inky, a slice of luck like that is always welcome but even more so at this time of year :)

Ah way to go man! That sounds neat... however, major problem:

Inkara1 said:
So now hopefully gray hairs will be coming to me a bit more slowly now. :D
and you visit OTC? ;)

That's great, Inky. I think many of us have gone through periods like that in our lives, where Ramen noodles became our major food source and there was constant worry about how the bills were going to get paid. But it sounds like you're going to do fine.

What are you doing for work nowadays? How is that going in addition to going to school? Must be tough.

I deliver pizzas for money. Every now and then I score a free piece or two, which beats top ramen every day of the week if you ask me.

Good to hear that! Sounds you've got your christmas gift sooner :) I didn't know you were into the delivery thing! How are the news business?

I remember how nice those surprise bonuses at the very point of desperation are. That's great!

That's good to hear.

Not to be a grinch, but after you cover Christmas, be sure to bank a piece of that. You never know when the next money disaster will hit.

I banked $500 of that, nearly a third. I sent another $500 to the credit card people.

Of course, now thanks to my wife I have to hit up the savings account I just opened two days ago. I agreed to help Brandi's brother buy some Christmas stuff for his wife and daughter, as it's a rough time for them money-wise and relationship-wise. Well, Brandi and her brother said probably $100 or so, which I had the room for. So I let Brandi take the Visa check card, and they spent well over $300 on it. Now I have to transfer money to the checking account so that when the checks for all the bills hit, there's money to cover that.

And Brandi used her usual "I did not expect that" excuse that she falls back on every time she spends too much (as if she really thinks I'd buy that excuse after the 30th time), and she got all teary-eyed on the phone because I got mad about it, and tried to tell me I was treating her like shit. ("Don't be mad at me." "Why not?" "Because I don't want you to be.") She also expects me to trust her with the card, and therefore all the money in the bank account, for no other reason than that she's my wife, ("I'm your wife, you're supposed to trust your wife.") nevermind that every time she has the card that money burns a hole in her pocket, and on multiple occasions she's not only spent more than I told her to at the place she said she'd be going, but she also stopped at other places and spent more and waited a day or two, or sometimes even until I checked the bank account online, to tell me.

On a 2nd thought, i would have severe problems with her if she would act the way she's acting with you.

I can not stand the drama, and the foolish excuses of i did not expect that. i would told her that she might be stupid for not knowing how to make an addition or how to look at the price tag.

ok, now everybody knows why i don't have a girl :D

Back