Florida nanny accused of shaking infant sues maker of suspect hidden camera system

Professur

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - A nanny who was arrested after police viewed hidden camera video recordings that appeared to show her shaking a five-month-old baby is suing the recording system's manufacturer.

Claudia Muro, 32, alleges that distorted camera footage wrongfully led to her arrest and imprisonment.

She was arrested in October 2003 and spent two years awaiting trial before prosecutors dropped the case because of concerns about the tape.

Broward County prosecutors in March said experts concluded the footage - also broadcast on TV - was not reliable as evidence because the videotape was time-lapsed, meaning that the movements that appeared to be rough shaking might not have been as violent as they appeared.

Robert McKee, Muro's civil attorney, told the Sun-Sentinel that the footage was misleading and caused his client to spend a long time in jail. He said there should be a warning to the consumer about the images.

The lawsuit was filed against Boca Raton-based Tyco Fire & Security, according to a report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

source

*shakes head and walks away sadly*

Not quite. These cameras were installed on private property, byt the property owners.

Suing because you were caught in the act of a felony? Hmm. I thought you couldn't profit by a crime.

Except, she wasn't convicted. Well, won't she make someone a lovely bride someday?

Private Big Brother tells Big Brother everything else.

I don't like so many cameras in so many places. If you suspect someone of hurting your child-don't tape them, FIRE THEM.

Re: Florida nanny accused of shaking infant sues maker of suspect hidden camera syste

Gonz said:
Private Big Brother tells Big Brother everything else.

I don't like so many cameras in so many places. If you suspect someone of hurting your child-don't tape them, FIRE THEM.

Today??? without proof, you'd get sued for wrongful dismissal.

Too true. I'll take my chances with the courts before giving somebody more chances to cause harm though. Call it Parental Decisions 101.

Back