For S'n'P: another year, another KISS snub

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The RnR hall of fame is a sham.

It must be...

Google "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame", click on the top link & get
Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!
You can learn more about harmful web content and how to protect your computer at StopBadware.org.

Suggestions:
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.
Or you can continue to http://www.rockhall.com/ at your own risk.

Advisory provided by

unclehobart

I don't see how Grandmaster Flash was even up for a nomination. It is the supposed Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Grandmaster Flash is rap. You might as well put Conway Twitty and Pavorotti in the Hall as well if they are actually putting people through that are completely devoid of rock and/or roll.

The litmus test for me is if said artist/group has actually ever been played on a rock station. That would be the inclusive grouping all the way from James Taylor to WASP.

chcr

Too cute for words
Grandmaster Flash was a pioneer in music. KISS were pioneers in costumes. Both should be inducted I suppose.

Grandmaster Flash was a music pioneer, but not a rock and roll pioneer. I'm with unc, if they're not a rock and roll act they don't belong. :shrug: Tonksy is right, the folks that pick don't like KISS so they aren't getting in until something changes. I've never been a huge KISS fan, but they should get in on their longevity and their body of work.

spike

While I can see your point I'd have to disagree with the litmus test. Many of the best Punk Rock bands never got radio airplay and even Metallica could hardly get on the radio for the first few years of their career, even though their first few albums were by far the best.

There's countless other examples of rock bands that never got shit for airplay that were without doubt extremely influential.

spike

Geez, I just read a partial list of bands that aren't in the Hall of Fame, these are the ones pissing me off...

Peter Frampton
Yes
Rush
Tom Waits
Kansas
Lou Reed
Stevie Nicks
Judas Priest
Metallica
King Crimson
Bad Company
Iron Maiden
Billy Idol
Foreigner
Supertramp
The Stooges
Cheap Trick
Neil Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne
Boston
Joe Walsh
Journey
Def Leppard
The Cure
Pat Benatar
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Heart
The Hollies
Moody Blues
Alice Cooper
Doobie Brothers
Deep Purple
Joan Jett
Genesis
Chicago
Jethro Tull
KISS
Humble Pie
Motley Crue
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Sonic Youth

Ok, yeah. The Rock Hall is bullshit.

unclehobart

Yeah... I think we need a few dozen of those groups in before we start worrying about the Queers, Anti Flag, the Dead Milkmen, and the Misfits.

spike

If you're trying to front on punk rock...I'd be more interested in Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols (in), Ramones (in), Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Ziggy Stardust, The Cramps, FEAR, Violent Femmes, Suicidal Tendencies, Motorhead, and Minor Threat.

The Butthole Surfers and Ministry deserve some props.

So does Soundgarden, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Beastie Boys, and Alice in Chains.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Tonksy is right, the folks that pick don't like KISS so they aren't getting in until something changes.

What else is new? The press has hated them from the get go. Never stopped them before, and it won't stop their induction either. It's just delaying it.

No band since 1970, I repeat, NO BAND has had the influence on live performances that KISS has had. None. And if live performance is not essential to rock and roll, we've all been misled.

No band since the Beatles has had the influence on marketing and music business practices that KISS has had. Right there is where the money in music is, folks, and they knew it and capitalized on it like never before. Anyone seen any Grandmaster Flash cologne for sale lately?

Dislike their music all you want. That is a subjective thing and plays no role in this decision. Lots of artists are inducted who play(ed) music I don't care for, yet they belong there unquestionably. Musical taste be damned. But any serious music fan, of any genre, who knows his/her ass from a hole in the ground knows they belong. If you lived through the 1970s you know they belong. I don't remember it being national news when Paul McCartney changed his outfit; KISS taking off the makeup in 1983 was headline making stuff. But they have no impact. Whatever.

I've said it before, and I'll say it as often as is necessary. Until they are inducted, the Hall is incomplete. I have no interest in visiting a building under construction.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
And for the record, in case anyone has forgotten, Van Halen (one of this year's inductees deservedly so) was discovered, promoted, and original demo produced by....

Gene Simmons.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Grandmaster Flash was a pioneer in music. KISS were pioneers in costumes. Both should be inducted I suppose.

Do you play an instrument? Perchance guitar?

If so, please see how long it takes to PROPERLY play one of their later, "commercial" songs on acoustic for me. "Forever" from the Hot In The Shade album.

Then come talk to me, K?