Foreigners Buying US Land

If we were to pass a law like that, other nations might do the same and a lot of people who own or want to buy vacation homes in other countries would be rather pissed off.

if it was a free market, there wouldn't be tariffs.:shrug:
or they would be the same on both ends.

just wondering.....
is there any communist country that sells land outside of their citizens??
China, Russia, Cuba...

We can't control tariffs from elsewhere. We can match theirs though. Which might be worth looking at. It'd be one way to increase the likelihood of buying American.

A free market economy is self-stabilizing. Our willingness to purchase goods is set by the consumer. If the product is inferior, or over-priced, it'll go down as a failure. Asking for government restrictions or duties or taxes raises the price-always. There has never been a corporation that paid dime one in taxes. The costs gets passed along to the consumer. It doesn't hinder the manufacturer or wholesaler, unless the price increase is so high as to make the product unaffordable, one way or another. Kinda like the Luxury Tax. Remember that? It put airplane & boat manufacturing employees out of work. That tax seems to have disappeared. It's cost was too high.

In the 80's the Japanese were gonna buy up the US. They were gonna own us & all we had. A few years later, they had a liquidation sale. We bought our crap back for pennies on the dollar. Helluva investment, in my book.

We gots lots of furriners buying up land in NZ as well, including yanks. :shrug:

my friend's cousin owns 175,000 acres there.

but hey catocom you're right we should outlaw any kind of foreign investment in the US. we should see how far that gets us. just lemme know when you think we should start. i got my butt all greased up. how about you?

but hey catocom you're right we should outlaw any kind of foreign investment in the US. we should see how far that gets us. just lemme know when you think we should start. i got my butt all greased up. how about you?

Dayum. Thats a lot of land. Does your friend's cousin do the 'sheep thing', too. :D

I never said ALL investment. I am referring specifically to Land in this particular conversation.

In the 80's the Japanese were gonna buy up the US. They were gonna own us & all we had. A few years later, they had a liquidation sale. We bought our crap back for pennies on the dollar. Helluva investment, in my book.

it could play out different this time though.

seems it'd be wise to err on the side of caution in a case like this.

Surly there are some kind of safeguards in place. I just don't know how it works I guess.

Of coarse I do know even if you are a citizen, and the Governing representatives want your land, they'll take it.

It seems more and more that being a citizen is less and less of a advantage. :(

Are you prepared to disallow our citizens the ability to buy foreign?

This whole scenario is a little to protectionist to me.

Are you prepared to disallow our citizens the ability to buy foreign?

nope, that should be the country of origin's decision, as it is I guess.

protectionist? I guess you could look at me that way, some others do.:shrug:
isolationist? I've been labeled that by some too.
Don't bother me none. I don't necessarily see um as a bad thing.:nerd:

Back