France Telecom posts record loss

Jeslek

Banned
FRANCE TELECOM POSTS RECORD LOSS: France Telecom has recorded a loss of 20.7 billion euros (C$33.5 billion) for 2002, the largest in French corporate history. One-time charges of 18.2 billion euros include a 4.4 billion writedown on Equant, its international data carrier.

*frown* I know the telecom industry hasn't been that great lately (yah, I'm in that industry too), but that is a rather big loss for a company that charges it's customers an arm and a leg. I guess cellular phones are hurting them too.

* tapes mouth shut and all the french jokes inside

Seriously though...I thought Europe in general was still exploding with phone technology? Is it just a few companies that are dominating there or what?

They all have government monoplies. Remember, cell phone manufacturers are a very minor part of the telecommunications industry.

our mobi phone technologies have been stalled for a while waiting for the 3g phones, which look like coming into the public domain sometime over the next 3 months proper.
colour screens and wazzo ringtones and shit are just pretty packaging over what has in reality been a stuck business over here for about a year. photo messaging has yet to really kick off and will proabably take a while.

as far as land-line companies are doing many of the big players have mobi subsidaries so have been relatively ok for the last fewe years as that exploded. we still suffer from a stilted market at home though with cable firms in deep losses and unable to comete properly for physical coverage (although they are great value) and the biggest players, either gov owned or previously gov owned, holding many people to ransom with high prices and poorer service.

it'll move slowly but will change in time.

bear in mind that this 'minor part' of the telecoms industry in teh uk have 72% of men and 67% of women now owning mobile phones [source] and oftel recently revealed that 15% declare it as their primary telecommunications system.

Jeslek said:
They all have government monoplies. Remember, cell phone manufacturers are a very minor part of the telecommunications industry.
Is France Telecom a cellular provider?

No, what I'm saying is the "boom" in Europe is mostly related to Nokia and Ericsson. :)

ris: I'm not talking about owning cellphones, but researching and designing and manufacturing them. It dwarfs in comparision with land lines, digital lines, fiber, satelite systems, land telephone systems, computer networks, and so forth, all part of the telecommunications business. :)

Shouldn't it be Freedom Telecom? Or, at least, that's what people in the US who are pissed off at the French might call it. :D

DEUTSCHE TELECOM REPORTS RECORD LOSS: Last week France Telecom announced the biggest corporate loss in French history. This week, Deutsche Telecom went one better by reporting a loss of 24.6 billion euros (C$39.4B) in 2002, the largest loss in European corporate history. Three-quarters of the losses were writedowns related to T-Mobile (formerly Voicestream), DT's U.S. wireless company.

WORLDCOM TO WRITE OFF $80B: WorldCom says it is writing off US$45B of goodwill and reducing the value of $45B of equipment and other intangible assets to $10B. WorldCom says it expects its stock to have no value when it emerges from bankruptcy.

Back