Friggin' GM POS

Professur said:
$550 for a new front wheel bearing. Damnit.
:eek: I still have some friends in the parts biz. What's it for and where are you getting it from?

Front wheel bearing. I just checked Pontiac-Parts online and the price is actually ballpark. List price is $302 US, and it's costing me $350 cnd. It's impossible to do driveway work in this season, but I trust this guy's work. (oddly enough, he hires outta the prison system. So he's always auditted, and inspected)

If I thought it would tough out another couple of months, I'd do it myself. Unfortunately, the missus (who's the only one who drive it) neglected to inform me about how loud it had gotten. I'd borrowed it last week, and when I got back, told her not to move it again until we had the money to get it fixed (unless she really wanted to lose a wheel in the middle of the road). On the up side, she's been driving the Mitsubishi all last week, and has managed to get quite confortable with a stick shift.

ford_logo.jpg

Fuck Off you ReDneck. j/k

I tried the Ford and Dodge minivans before buying. I'd still buy GM. None of the others are any easier or cheaper to fix. Personally, I would much rather have had a station wagon, but the only ones going were Subaru (impossible to get fixed, 'cept at the dealer) Volvo (I'm not dead yet) and Ford (just couldn't see myself driving a taurus with those stupid round windows)

Most of our fleet is Windstars. If you seldom need to fix a Ford, either you're unwholesomely lucky, or you don't drive a ford.

Fords can be reliable if you drive the right Fords. Anything with the 3.8L V6 will need a new head gasket, which includes almost all Windstars (you could get them with a 3.0 but you wouldn't want to).

I'd have done the timing belt work on my car myself, but I don't have the tools or facilities to do it. $891. Fucking shit. It looks like $372 to have the windshield done (I don't have the right stuff to do that right, either). Otherwise, the only thing I've ewer had to do to the car is replace the battery once, and the usual maintenance stuff (oil, filter, plugs, air filter, etc.).

I just had new brakes put on my truck.

New brake rotors: $115 each.
Ceramic brake pads: $40 set.
New wheel bearings and seals, inner and outer: $35 for two sets.
Labor: $90

Total: $395.

The factory original brakes lasted 145,000 miles.

chevy_trucks_logo.gif

The alternator is OK so far *knocks wood* but I replaced the water pump at 110k miles ($95 parts & labor, brand new pump - not remanufactured).

Besides the brakes, that's the only repair the truck has ever needed.

my camaro never needed warrenty work, but the tranny gave up at 100k and the motor let loose at 120k. the mustang was in about 10 times for warrenty work/recalls. the subie was in once for warrenty work and the honda was in for one recall and once for warrenty work so far.
the subie and honda work was minor stuff. window came off the track on the subie and the sunglass holder needed to be replaced on the honda. the mustang needed a new hood, new drivers seat, new right rear bearings and differential plus a couple of minor things. oddly enough, my favorite car of the group was the mustang.

Back