GAAAAAAAH!! Cranial cramp

Professur

I'm desperately trying to remember a book I read in school. Unfortunately I'm running on splinters.

The book took place in britain. Had a boy (can't remember his name) as the main character.

The local lord had built a wall that the local folk didn't like very much and decided to tear down. That night, they did, with the boy on lookout. Then the lord came by.

<splinter> Since my mouth was hanging open, I stuck two fingers in and whistled <splinter>

The boy may have hucked a rock at the lord, but for whatever reason, he split quicklike, on the run. He later picked up with a band of actors, including one Will Shakespear (could be a phantom memory this). The band included, or picked up, another boy, who turned out to be a girl pretending to be a boy because at the time girls weren't allowed to act and all female parts were played by boys.

<splinter> I'll wager his voice doesn't break <splinter>

Later they get back to to boy's village.

The title may include a bell tower, bells pealing, or something such. I recall that one of the things that came up with this book was all the other kids finding out that the word peel doesn't always refer to an orange.

That's it. That's all I've got. And it's driving me fucking starkers. I can't even remember what grade I was in. Someone please bail me out.

Sounds a bit like something Lloyd Alexander would do, but it isn't ringing any definite chimes. Sorry.

Back