Garage Sales An' Guitars..........

75renegade

So cool! This weekend past, I went to several garage sales, (a frequent, northern Indiana, summer-time pass-time).

Anyhows, I stumbled upon a beat up guitar case, which I discovered, contained a Fender accoustic guitar.

Granted, not their "upper" line, but nice, an' full of beautiful sound quality, none-the-less.

It even came with a partially-full pick dispenser, an' a Korg, plug-in type electronic tuner.

Price? $10.00

Of course I asked if he'd take $8.00, to which he gladly agreed.

Not the calliber of my Fender F-250, but I figured my daughter, and/or my Fiance' could use it to practice with me.

ROCK ON!!:headbang:

ash r said:
i've been learning guitar lately.... or at least trying to :(
lol

My teacher is a graduate from a local university with a Masters in Classical guitar.

Her disciplines may seem strict to some, like fingerings an' such, but I remember what a trial it was to learn "G" the way she taught me.

I still struggle with chord changes when movin' from "D".............'ow 'bout you?

Fingering is ususally BS. It doesn't matter which fingers you use, so long as it sounds right. With the exception of fingerings that make it too difficult to move to the next chord, of course.

Professur said:
Fingering is ususally BS. It doesn't matter which fingers you use, so long as it sounds right. With the exception of fingerings that make it too difficult to move to the next chord, of course.

Yer right Prof, when it comes down to end product, close yer eyes an' it jus' doesn't matter.

However, I was referrin' to proper fingerings which maximize the efficiency of chord changes, as ya mentioned.

Unlearnin' "bad" fingerings is very difficult, an' simply tryin' to overcome by compensation, can be very limiting.

I'm jus' learnin'. I believe there are probably as many ways to play, as there are players. For now however, I will stick to the theory that my teacher 'as shown me.

It sounds like you also play or played, true?

Professur said:
Much like putting in golf, of figerings for piano, etc. Except that the "conventional" swing, fingerings, grip, etc. are that way because of decades (or centuries) of cumulative experience, and typically make life easier to learn that way.

There have been many songs where I questioned the fingerings suggested, but after getting the passage up to speed I realized why they were that way. Of course, on occasion I still prefer a non-conventional fingering, since I have large hands with a large span, but that isn't as often as it used to be. :)

I'm with Prof, the most important consideration for me is how the chord changes flow. Of course, by now I think I know most of the possible fingerings for most chords (I hate it when some self important composer slips a minor 9th suspended 4th in there) but I make my own decisions based on what the previous and following chords are.

Cool find, renegade. That Korg tuner probably has a condenser mic as well as the plug. You might want to check.

chcr said:
I'm with Prof, the most important consideration for me is how the chord changes flow. Of course, by now I think I know most of the possible fingerings for most chords (I hate it when some self important composer slips a minor 9th suspended 4th in there) but I make my own decisions based on what the previous and following chords are.

Cool find, renegade. That Korg tuner probably has a condenser mic as well as the plug. You might want to check.

'Ow can I tell Chcr?

It has a phono jack in the side, but otherwise, it looks like my $20.00, fully effective, mic'd tuner.

Do tell bro.:)

75renegade said:
I'm usin' salvaged equipment, from a variety of donors, whatcha gonna do?:rolleyes: :D

'ell, I d' 'pose 'll d' 'hing. t's yer 'rogative t' t' 'ny wa' ya 'ish... jus' makes it ti' 'sumin' to re' yer pos', n' a g'ble t' sum' tis' wor' t' ef'rt.

outside looking in said:
75renegade said:
I'm usin' salvaged equipment, from a variety of donors, whatcha gonna do?:rolleyes: :D

'ell, I d' 'pose 'll d' 'hing. t's yer 'rogative t' t' 'ny wa' ya 'ish... jus' makes it ti' 'sumin' to re' yer pos', n' a g'ble t' sum' tis' wor' t' ef'rt.

ok Out, that was a massive attempt to overcompensate, for those of us who r obviously "under-equipped".

Mr. Lewis, my boss, would not be pleased at such display of disrespect..............I 'ope YOU were humored, by yer caddy mockins!!:rolleyes: :D

Like, laughin' at the special olympics...........ya 'ave no "crowd", so jus' go on an mock, we'll love you anyway!!:headbang:

Back