Gas prices

Jeslek

Banned
Yeah yeah, plenty of times discussed here already :) But, I think there is this conspiracy. Here in Ontario we have been paying the same thing for the past 6 months, and quite frankly I suspect the oil companies or whatever saw that people will pay this amount and just never lowered their prices....

We pay now ~ CDN$0.65 per liter, or $0.42 per liter, or $1.60 per gallon (use 3.8 liter = 1 gallon)

What do you pay? Quote in US$ per liter or gallon (use 3.8 liter = 1 gallon)

I'm rather curious what gas costs on Hawaii... ;)

1.20 US here in Mid Missouri, been that for about 2 months, was up to 1.40

LastLegionary said:
quite frankly I suspect the oil companies or whatever saw that people will pay this amount and just never lowered their prices....

Oh my gosh! You mean that they found a price at which they could make good money and people are willing to pay it, and they didn't lower it??? What's wrong with those guys??? :eek: :p

Dude, I thought you were a capitalist... :rolleyes:

We're paying $1.35 - $1.40, which is about a dime above what I was paying in 1979 when I first started driving. Adjusted for inflation and increases in the gas tax, the price of gas has dropped dramatically in the past twenty or so years. How many other things that you buy have done that?

Regular full serve cash in my neighborhood is $1.59 (full serve or paying by credit card is typically more expensive)

I just got back from a road trip to Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and they're prices are by average 10 cents less.

New Jersey doesn't let you pump your own gas--every island is full serve. And it was $1.40 for regular. That pisses me off sometimes.

I just bought gas for 63.5cents/litre. It was down to 59 and 60 for a few days a while back...

yep, we get stiffed for fuel here, so really the 20c you are worrying about is a drop in the giant gas-ocean. :D

ris said:
yep, we get stiffed for fuel here, so really the 20c you are worrying about is a drop in the giant gas-ocean. :D

Who has you bent over, though, the oil companies, or the government? I don't see any reason why gas would be that much more expensive there than here...

both. tax makes up a huge portion of the amount we pay but the gas companies seem to enjoy banging a penny on here and a penny on there.

its pretty much the same across europe; big wad to the oil barons and a big wad to the governement.

ris said:
both. tax makes up a huge portion of the amount we pay but the gas companies seem to enjoy banging a penny on here and a penny on there.

its pretty much the same across europe; big wad to the oil barons and a big wad to the governement.

I did a search online and discovered an article from back when the truckers in Britain were protesting the tax on gas. The article said that the price then was right at $5 per gallon, and that 80% of that was tax. So that would've been $1 to the "oil barons" and $4 to the government. Wow. Sounds like a little pertoleum jelly would be in order...

:banana2:

:rolleyes:

yes, that's true, but the oil companies are guilty of adding money to the price when oil/inflation etc goes up, and then not removing it when the price plummets.

the government reduced tax on fuel shortly after the truckers thing, we're about 15p cheaper than back then. there is also a concerted push toward alternative fules, natural gas is available at a large number of service stations now.

ris said:
yes, that's true, but the oil companies are guilty of adding money to the price when oil/inflation etc goes up, and then not removing it when the price plummets.

Right... so you've worked out exactly what a litre of gas ought to cost, and if they're off that by a few pence, they're skinning you. Meanwhile, your government has your hide nailed to a wall, and they're heros because they give you "free" medical care. :laugh:

Back