Gasless mig

Professur

Mig welding is supposed to be Metal, inert gas. Does anyone have the knowledge of welding to explain gasless mig welding for me? Sounds like safe sex to me.

The one I saw had a flux-film on the wire.
It didn't work as well as the gas mig.
It worked "more better" :D on some things than others.
You gotta use higher amps than a gas mig, (more like a self-feeding-tiny arc welder)

Automatic feed, and much hotter than a solderer.
It reminds me more of a spot welder, in heat.

So (been reading some) many mig welders are only gasless, or convertable to gas. But you should be able to use gasless wire with any gas welder ... without using the gas, right?

What are they talking about when discussing shorting and spraying the weld? (definitely thinking on sticking with the stick)

Professur said:
What are they talking about when discussing shorting and spraying the weld? (definitely thinking on sticking with the stick)
Not sure there.
Those sound like (fulltime pro) terms to me.
I've never done it fulltime. I just did it as needed when I was in the machine-shop.
edit: (oh and at home here)

Hmmm. There's a wholesaler coming in with a 130 amp mig for $279 that I'm thinking about. It's a whole lot easier to weld under the car with a mig than a stick. But I know stick already. And I know that if I go to the show without definitely refusing the welder ... I'll buy it. Sooooooo ifitdoesn'thavegasIwon'tbuyit. There.

Don't foget to get a can of "splatter" spray.
It not only helps remove the splatter, but spray the nozzle, and it helps with sticking on the tip. ;)

Back