Georgia legislator seeks to give unborn babies right to jury trial.

Jeslek

Banned
SOURCE: http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=29919

Georgia legislators will introduce a bill early next month that refers to abortion as an ''execution'' and will require any mother seeking an abortion to go to court to obtain a death warrant.

''A mother would have to argue why the child should die and why her rights would take priority over the rights of the child,'' said Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, who sponsored the legislation.

Once a mother filed for a death warrant, a guardian would be appointed to protect the rights of the unborn child. That guardian would be authorized to demand a jury trial in which the rights of the unborn child would be balanced against the rights of the mother seeking to have the ''execution'' performed.

The bill also mandates that no physician can perform an ''execution'' in the state without first obtaining a death warrant.
Oh yes, I love this. :)

i didnt until now and even then im not sure. im all for choice but as a last resort. id ratehr adoption be thought before abortion but sometimes they dont consider it or whatever. and what about cases of rape? will it still be considered an execution?

Although the legality of abortion is from case law and not legislation, would a state be able to basically trump federal law in this case?

Inky, it's quite possible. However, it would run the gamut of litigation & those tend to lose, regarding abortion. Again, however, since it has never (to my knowledge) been simply outlawed, since RvW, it could fall under the 10th.

I would assume this would lead to individuals seeking out "black market" abortion methods instead of taking it through the courts in many cases.

Yes...simple grandstanding.

That's right, if the gvmnt do not know she was pregned, they can't prosecute her.

After reading the article, the impression I get is that it would only be for the state of Georgia, not the US as a whole. So if I were in Georgia and wanted to get an abortion, couldn't I just hop in the '73 Camaro or '82 Chevy Stepside--with gun rack--and get on the paved road to Alabama or Florida to have it done there?

Inkara1 said:
After reading the article, the impression I get is that it would only be for the state of Georgia, not the US as a whole. So if I were in Georgia and wanted to get an abortion, couldn't I just hop in the '73 Camaro or '82 Chevy Stepside--with gun rack--and get on the paved road to Alabama or Florida to have it done there?
I think they will make laws regarding that. Congress already passed a law outlawing out-of-state abortions if you are a minor.

What a dumbass. No wonder the Republicans can't control this state. All this moron is doing is driving voters by the truckload to the Democratic party.

Jerrek said:
Inkara1 said:
I think they will make laws regarding that. Congress already passed a law outlawing out-of-state abortions if you are a minor.

Woohoo! Then we can execute them!

gonz to the best of my knowledge its this: since Roe V Wade, its in the Constitution that a woman has the right to choose although states have made laws regarding abortion. some say its legal others say its not. im not sure how that works cause isnt the US Constitution supposed to override state?

Nope, the other way freako. The states can pass laws that override the federal, as long as they don't contradict the constitution. Now the Roe vs. Wade issue was not in the constitution, so the states can go either way with it.

If they get caught trying to have an abortion out of state maybe we can put them in the electric chair immediately.

The United States federal government exists at the mercy of the states. Only those powers given to them by the Constitution are under their jurisdiction. The rest goes to the States.

Canada is the opposite... All powers not delegated to the provinces go to the federal government.

Youre both right. The Constitution does revert the rights of unassigned duties back to the states... problem is that there are none left. The Feds siezed 100% control of every aspect of our lives within the confines of the regulations of commerce clause. One little line has sealed our fate. There is no action, or activity that isnt regulated in some way by it.

Back