Germany & its enlightenment

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Still waiting.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites because its star Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.

Cruise, also one of the film's producers, is a member of the Church of Scientology which the German government does not recognize as a church. Berlin says it masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

Reuters

So, freedom of religion (which I assume Germany, as a good UN stooge has) is not really free. Much like many of our Senators wish to do with our freedom of speech.

Fully as believable and sensible as any other, IMO. ;)

The very question shows that "freedom of religion" is a sham though.

Well... It is Germany. Apparently only official religions get the kid gloves treatment... and besides... Cruise is an American in a foreign land. He isn't exactly entitled to special treatment being an alien merely passing through.

I wonder if he cried for his mommy like Paris Hilton did when he found out he wasn't getting his way...:devious:

Hope so.

Seriously though, the majority of people believe that "freedom of religion" only applies to religions they approve of.

My question is this: It doesn't look to me like the film espouses or promotes scientology in any way so why does it matter if he belongs to a religion they don't approve of? It's their country though, they can make and enforce the rules as they see fit.

Hope so.

Seriously though, the majority of people believe that "freedom of religion" only applies to religions they approve of.

Either that, or "Freedom from Religion".

chcr said:
My question is this: It doesn't look to me like the film espouses or promotes scientology in any way so why does it matter if he belongs to a religion they don't approve of? It's their country though, they can make and enforce the rules as they see fit.

By paying Tom Cruise, money goes, indirectly or not, into the coffers of Scientology.

I'm not talking about the film. I'm talking about the paycheck.

The point is that the money's not from there, the actors for the most part probably aren't and neither the German government nor a German controlled company is in control of the production (maybe that's the real complaint). Certainly having a big budget Hollywood production would inject some (possibly a lot of) cash into the local economy wherever they shoot. Jobs, support personnel, taxes etc... I just think they're letting their emotions overcome their good sense.

Personally, I think just the fact that he's Tom Cruise is reason enough to blow him off (which, rumor has it, Katie is in the process of doing).

The point is that the money's not from there, the actors for the most part probably aren't and neither the German government nor a German controlled company is in control of the production (maybe that's the real complaint). Certainly having a big budget Hollywood production would inject some (possibly a lot of) cash into the local economy wherever they shoot. Jobs, support personnel, taxes etc... I just think they're letting their emotions overcome their good sense.

These are Germans. They don't have emotions. :p

As an aside, they film here in Charleston all the time. I've yet to hear of more than one name associated with filming outside of hotel chains and a few restaurants...and they get just as much money from tourism.

chcr said:
Personally, I think just the fact that he's Tom Cruise is reason enough to blow him off (which, rumor has it, Katie is in the process of doing).

He was good in Risky Business. Legend was a disaster. I'd say that Top Gun was a good flick. His crowning achievement was A Few Good Men, but that was mostly due to Jack. Guess you're right. :D

Does it matter if any of us, or the German gov't consideres it a religion? He & several other folks do. I know nothing whatsoever about it & don't mind keeping it that way.

Back