Get free satellite TV in exchange for ten humiliating years

Professur

ECHOSTAR COMMUNICATIONS, the owner of satellite TV service DISH Network, is running a contest that could provide a whole US town with free Dish Network for ten years.
There's one catch, though. To win, a US city must officially change its name to "Dish." Only in America.

It can't just be on paperwork, either - the town must go the whole hog and change every last detail, from town signs to the names of schools. If for some reason you'd like to live in Dish you can e-mail Dish at [email protected]. µ

Source

You were all set to ban my ass, weren't ya?

This could work for a small community with little or no infrastructure.

Yes, I was ready to ban your ass.

as to the story, wtf? What kind of a lesson is that for kids in the town? Take the easy way out and sell out to get what you want?

What about the children? Will noone think of the children?!

Can you imagine the financial disaster Dish would be dealt if somewhere like Dallas decided to do it?

To participate, the town government must agree to change the name legally and permanently on government buildings, post offices, official letterhead, schools and hospitals if applicable, street signs where necessary, and any other government signage that contains the city or town's name. The municipality must also file all necessary state and federal documentation.

In exchange, DISH Network will agree to provide every household within the municipal limits a free DISH Network satellite TV receiver, free standard installation, and America's Top 60 programming package free for 10 years. The DISH Network offer is subject to the terms and conditions of DISH Network's residential service agreement and other terms negotiated.

A.B.Normal said:
Or one with an already humiliating name such as Clitsville,Beaver Rapids,Penis Falls etc... :lloyd:

My home town was Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. Wanna make something of it? :box: :trout: :bash: *punch* :finger:

More proof for Bobby that the world is not sane, by any definition

Satellite Makeover: Texas Town Renames Itself “Dish”

It used to be the town of Clark, Texas. But as of November 16, the new legal name is Dish, Texas.

The rebranding was spurred by an offer from EchoStar Communications Corporation as part of the DISH City Makeover promoted by the telecommunications firm.

In exchange for the townsfolk renaming their city, DISH Network has agreed to provide every household in Dish, Texas ten years of free basic satellite TV programming, including equipment and standard installation. DISH Network introduced the DISH City Makeover as part of a new advertising campaign trumpeting “Better TV for All.”

Clark, Texas was first incorporated as a town in 2000 and is located 25 miles north of Fort Worth. It claims a population of 125. The town of Clark is a rural agricultural and ranching community as well as a bedroom community for commuters who work in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Explained Bill Merritt, Mayor of DISH, Texas: “We accepted this challenge because we believe this relationship will give us a unique opportunity to put our town on the map, and we hope it will help us attract new people and businesses so that our town can grow in the right direction. With free DISH Network satellite TV, we’ll become a place people are proud to be a part of.”

Source

Re: More proof for Bobby that the world is not sane, by any definition

Whores for Dish

Re: More proof for Bobby that the world is not sane, by any definition

There's a funny little dirt-slinging back story to this.
Bill Merritt, mayor of newly christened DISH (population 125), insisted yesterday that he was just looking to create some buzz for his north Texas town by accepting EchoStar's offer of free satellite television service for all residents of the town that agreed to rename itself.

The name Clark had a short but controversial history. The town was named by its founder, Landis Clark, who incorporated it five years ago to keep a sprawling Fort Worth at bay, and served as its first mayor. Mr. Merritt beat Mr. Clark in a bitterly contested election this spring by one vote.....

.....the mayor, whose father had worked with Mr. Clark in founding the town, acknowledged the name change was not universally popular, particularly with his predecessor.

And he couldn't resist a dig at Mr. Clark, the owner of the local Clark Airfield, who lives on Clark Airfield Drive that, until yesterday, was in the town of Clark. "You can draw your own conclusions about what he thinks about his name," Mr. Merritt said, laughing.

For his part, Mr. Clark, who subscribes to DirecTV, is unimpressed with Mr. Merritt's re-branding effort.

"I think it kinda stinks -- it's dirty and it's cheap," he said.

He said the Merritt family, which owns a development company, is looking to "cover the whole countryside with double-wides."
source

oh..and...
Mr. Neuman said he feels a "spiritual kinship" with the people of DISH, Tex., and hopes they will become "evangelists for better TV."

"By officially changing the town's name, the residents of DISH will experience first-hand what 'better TV for all' truly means, while at the same time saving hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next decade," he said.
*puke*

I've been through the town of Clark, oops "Dish", on my way to Texas Motor Speedway.
Believe me, it is one of those places that if you sneeze, you've missed the place.

In 6 months, I bet no one outside the town will remember the previous name, or why it was changed.

And, DISH certainly isn't as odd a name as Scissors, Noodle, Baby Head, Welfare, Weed Haven. And, let's not forget Ding Dong, Bigfoot, Jot 'Em Down and Tarzan.

ROTFL

Back