GI Joe...the movie???

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" — an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

*puke*

Inkara1

So how will they be able to go about issuing movie-themed action figures (AKA dolls that it's socially acceptable for boys to play with)? Way to fuck the studio company out of millions of dollars in merchandising.

JJR512

They'll issue movie-themed action figures that boys will play with, just like they've played with the movie-themed action figures from the Spider-Man, Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Superman, Batman, etc. movies, not to mention the wrestling characters.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Their target audience.

No plans to see it, in the theatre. Looks too silly.

JJR512

I have seen it, and I enjoyed it. It's not the greatest movie ever made, but it's decent.

I wouldn't call it a flop, though. Last weekend, it was still #3 at the box office.

I took my 8-y/o to see it, he liked it. He's also seen the Harry Potter and Star Trek movies this year, though, and I didn't think to ask him which he liked best.

There were a few cheesy moments, of course, such as the way Gen. Hawk managed to work in the "knowing is half the battle" line. I liked Brendan Fraser's bit role; I'm assuming he was a really big GI Joe fan as a kid, and just wanted any part in the movie, no matter how small. I also really enjoyed watching the actress that played Scarlet. :drool: She reminded me of a younger, hotter, red-haired Bridget Fonda.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I have seen it, and I enjoyed it. It's not the greatest movie ever made, but it's decent.

I wouldn't call it a flop, though. Last weekend, it was still #3 at the box office.

Its a flop if it hasn't been pirated yet...which is legal where I'm at. ;)

JJR said:
I took my 8-y/o to see it, he liked it. He's also seen the Harry Potter and Star Trek movies this year, though, and I didn't think to ask him which he liked best.

There were a few cheesy moments, of course, such as the way Gen. Hawk managed to work in the "knowing is half the battle" line. I liked Brendan Fraser's bit role; I'm assuming he was a really big GI Joe fan as a kid, and just wanted any part in the movie, no matter how small. I also really enjoyed watching the actress that played Scarlet. :drool: She reminded me of a younger, hotter, red-haired Bridget Fonda.

Umm...see Gonz' remark about the target audience.

JJR512

Umm...see Gonz' remark about the target audience.
I saw his comment earlier. It doesn't really do anything to alter my statement, not sure why I need to be reminded of it now. I don't believe it was intended to be purely a kids' movie, though. I'm sure they also wanted to capture the 30-somethings who remember the toys and cartoon series from the '80s. I'm not sure if they had any intention of trying to capture an older audience that remembers the original toys, the larger ones, though (I guess they'd be 60-somethings?--my father is 62 and remembers them from his childhood). But I'm 33, and I enjoyed it. :shrug:

pc_builder

I remember G.I. Joe's from my childhood and I'm only 30. :p
Haven't seen the movie yet. But then, I've been too broke to see any movies the past couple months. Wanna see that District 9. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
The movie was ok, I think that anyone who liked transformers will enjoy this one.

catocom

Now that its out in theaters...anyone seen this flop?

if it comes on tv I might watch at least part of it.
(for informational purposes of seeing what it is)
I doubt I'll sit through it though.

I didn't make it through gi jane.

Winky

It was total crap but as I had downloaded it as a screener (cam)
I got every bit of my money's worth.