Girl Pitches Perfect Game

Winky

OAKFIELD, N.Y. - Katie Brownell is in a Little League all her own. The 11-year-old — the only girl playing in the Oakfield-Alabama Little League program — pitched a perfect game Saturday for her Dodgers. She struck out all 18 batters she faced in the six-inning, 11-0 victory over the Yankees.

Oakfield-Alabama officials said they can't remember anybody ever throwing a perfect game in this western New York league between Buffalo and Rochester.

In two games on the mound, Katie has struck out 32 of 33 batters. And she's hitting .714 through the team's first three games.

"She's been pitching for three years, but she really came on and excelled this year," said team manager Jeff Sage.

Katie was almost pulled out of Saturday's game until the scorekeeper reminded her coach she had a no-hitter going. Katie then kept mowing down the opposition and when the last batter was fanned, the crowd erupted.

"Everybody congratulated me," she said.
link

How do they think the other little kids felt? Huh?!? This little girl is a sick & twisted freak, enjoying an accomplishment at the expense of another. I hope she ends up on the national news for some bad reason.

I think that it's awesome. That is a little girl that has worked her way into a "man's" sport and has excelled. She should be very proud of herself and keep working on her skill.

There's plenty of girls in the Little league programs here, and have been for several years. No matter the skill level, that's a big accomplishment. I can't recall seeing anything like that, and even though my brother was on some god awful teams they were never no-hit, nor threw one. I have seen an unassisted triple play when I was an umpire for the game, I couldn't yell all 3 outs fast enough for it.

rrfield said:
This is unheard of.

During the 1940's, up until Jackie Robinson, there was something called the "Negro League" in professional baseball. It was rarely reported, nor were the statistics highly published. Jackie Robinson, who 'broke' the color barrier was hailed as being the best player. Far from it. There were loads of players better than he was. Don't confuse 'unheard of' with 'who cares'. ;)

rrfield said:
She can only pitch as manny innings as there are in a game...

This is unheard of.
True... but those extra 3 innings are the hardest with fatigue and all. Its just a way rarer feat to pull off.

katiebrownell.jpg

Katie Brownell

Back