Global warming?

highwayman

Call in the enviro-nazis, this has to be the governments fault...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060531/D8HUVKSO0.html
WASHINGTON (AP) - Scientists have found what might have been the ideal ancient vacation hotspot with a 74-degree Fahrenheit average temperature, alligator ancestors and palm trees. It's smack in the middle of the Arctic.

First-of-its-kind core samples dug up from deep beneath the Arctic Ocean floor show that 55 million years ago an area near the North Pole was practically a subtropical paradise, three new studies show.

The scientists say their findings are a glimpse backward into a much warmer-than-thought polar region heated by run-amok greenhouse gases that came about naturally.

Skeptics of man-made causes of global warming have nothing to rejoice over, however. The researchers say their studies appearing in Thursday's issue of Nature also offer a peek at just how bad conditions can get.

"It probably was (a tropical paradise) but the mosquitoes were probably the size of your head," said Yale geology professor Mark Pagani, a study co-author.

And what a watery, swampy world it must have been.

"Imagine a world where there are dense sequoia trees and cypress trees like in Florida that ring the Arctic Ocean," said Pagani, a member of the multinational Arctic Coring Expedition that conducted the research.

unclehobart

Wow! Scientists publishing something that goes against the global warming mantra. I thought I would never live to see the day.

Inkara1

I'd throw a tomato at you, but the crap they're trying to pass off as tomatoes these days is all white and tough; it would probably knock you out cold if I threw one at you.

2minkey

bootlicker
Inkara1 said:
I'd throw a tomato at you, but the crap they're trying to pass off as tomatoes these days is all white and tough; it would probably knock you out cold if I threw one at you.

you need heirloom tomatoes. wrinkly, soft, and sick, just like "real" ones from the old days.

http://www.tomatofest.com/

highwayman

Inkara1 said:

Come down to it I had one in the fridge for a couple weeks I forgot about and started to ferment and threw it out...I can dig it out of the trash and Fed Ex it you...

Gonz said:
What a shock...mother nature has no use for liberals either

In reality it was a backed up ceptic tank that caused the methane and the greenhouse effect trapped the gas in a local pocket...

jankerson

The Whole Global Warming scare is just a way for some people to get grant money out of the Governments and private citizens.

Weather Patterns change, that has been documented so many times that it is old news now, but they still scream about Global Warming anyway.

chcr

Too cute for words
jankerson said:
The Whole Global Warming scare is just a way for some people to get grant money out of the Governments and private citizens.

Weather Patterns change, that has been documented so many times that it is old news now, but they still scream about Global Warming anyway.
:thumbup:
It's also been well know for a long time that the polar sea was once tropical. Only an idiot would be surprised by this. :shrug:

Oh, yeah,
The end is neer!

Professur

Did anyone else read that they're thinking that the breakup of the Supercontinent, and the either continental drift was because of a giant asteroid slamming into antartica and literally blowing Australia off, and stirring up the mantle?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Skeptical climatologist scoffs at ‘consensus’ on global warming
By Joel Achenbach Washington Post

Bill Gray, of the atmospheric science department at Colorado State University, complains that global warming claims are based on computer models. He says his own observations and studies lead him to believe recent warming trends are part of a natural cycle.

It should be glorious to be Bill Gray, professor emeritus.

He’s the guy who predicts the number of hurricanes that will form during the coming tropical storm season. He works on a country road leading into the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, in the atmospheric science department of Colorado State University. He’s mentored dozens of scientists.

He’s a towering figure in his profession and in person. He’s 6-foot-5, with blue eyes and white hair combed straight back. His laugh is gale force. He can be very charming.

But he’s also angry. He’s outraged.

He recently had a public shouting match with one of his former students. It went on for 45 minutes.

He was supposed to debate another scientist at a weather conference, but the organizer found him to be too hostile and disinvited him.

Much of his government funding has dried up. He has had to put his own money, more than $100,000, into keeping his research going. He feels intellectually abandoned. If none of his colleagues comes to his funeral, he says, that’ll be evidence that he had the courage to say what they were afraid to admit.

Which is this: Global warming is a hoax.

Rest of the article in the local rag, including a few pics.

Great stuff.

MrBishop

"global warming" may be an overstatement,...and you're free to laugh yourselves silly over it, calling it a liberal quest for grant money. :rolleyes:

BUT

The increase in air pollution through the industrialization of third world countries, the increase of the number of cars and trucks on the ground and planes in the air, plus smokestacks pouring out whatever the fuck they want is NO joke. Whether is increases greenhouse gasses, cools the planet, warms the planet or doesn't touch the planet...the point is, it fucks us humans up, but good.

Ya want any indicators of what air pollution does? Google asthma stats, or emphysema stats etc etc...

Raise your hands if you remember this many kids having asthma when you were a kid. How many kids do you remember walking around with an inhaler in their pocket? How many now?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
MrBishop said:
"global warming" may be an overstatement,...and you're free to laugh yourselves silly over it, calling it a liberal quest for grant money. :rolleyes:

BUT

The increase in air pollution through the industrialization of third world countries, the increase of the number of cars and trucks on the ground and planes in the air, plus smokestacks pouring out whatever the fuck they want is NO joke. Whether is increases greenhouse gasses, cools the planet, warms the planet or doesn't touch the planet...the point is, it fucks us humans up, but good.

Ya want any indicators of what air pollution does? Google asthma stats, or emphysema stats etc etc...

Raise your hands if you remember this many kids having asthma when you were a kid. How many kids do you remember walking around with an inhaler in their pocket? How many now?

All very good points, BUT...

How many of us kids sat on our asses under an air conditioner 24/7? Lived in homes with filters for every living thing? We have weakened our immune systems because Mom gives us antibiotics every time we sneezed.

Yeah, more kids are on inhalers. More kids are fat too. More kids are hyperactive. Fewer kids are push mowing yards, weeding gardens, painting barns, milking cows, climbing trees, breathing air free of 50,000 automobiles and their accompanying exhaust fumes...

Industrialization comes with a price tag, like everything else. We should be better stewards of our environment than our ancestors were. Along with it, though, we should be better stewards of our own bodies. (This coming from the fat guy...) Fresh air and exercise can prevent a lot of crap.

MrBishop

SouthernN'Proud said:
All very good points, BUT...

How many of us kids sat on our asses under an air conditioner 24/7? Lived in homes with filters for every living thing? We have weakened our immune systems because Mom gives us antibiotics every time we sneezed.

Yeah, more kids are on inhalers. More kids are fat too. More kids are hyperactive. Fewer kids are push mowing yards, weeding gardens, painting barns, milking cows, climbing trees, breathing air free of 50,000 automobiles and their accompanying exhaust fumes....

at my house...zero kids. When I do have to take my kid to the asthma centre, every time so far...I've seen zero overweight kids.

Yeah, A/C, overeating, lack of exercise and over-indulgence in antibiotics are part of the 'modern' first world... but I don't see it as a major contributor like I do pollution.

I remember plenty of fat kids not playing sports when I was young... they weren't playing Nintendo though.. back then, it was Atari. :rolleyes:

jankerson

MrBishop said:

BUT

Air Pollution is a different issue all together and a real problem for all living things.

No it's not good for us, but then neither are all of the other Chemicals that we consume every day in the food we eat and the water we drink. There really isn't one correct answer to the Pollution problem.

Global Warming is a completely different issue because there is no way that Humans changed the planets atmosphere enough to do any harm in the last 100 years or so. Natural Disasters like Volcanoes do much more harm to the planet that humans ever will. Just one major Eruption will get into the Atmosphere and cover the entire planet.

The whole thought process that we changed the Planets atmosphere in a hundred years is just, well to put it in one word, stupid.

Professur

MrBishop said:

How many kids in your school had peanut allergies?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Asthma is overdiagnosed. There are, and were, real cases. Send the rug munchers out into the world to ride bikes, run, jump, push mowers (and other goodies as SnP pointed out). Not scheduled play dates (gawd that terms sickens me) but actual get dirty & scrapred up & muddy & bloody outside play time.

As far as global warmng goes - Ma Nature is laughing at the ego man has. She can do more in one afternoon that we can do in ten lifetimes.

jankerson

Gonz said:
As far as global warmng goes - Ma Nature is laughing at the ego man has. She can do more in one afternoon that we can do in ten lifetimes.

Yep. :bgpimp:

Good old Planet Earth was here a long time before man and well still be here long after man has gone the way of the Dinosaurs. :)