Glorified golf cart

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
So y'all can't say I made this up and whatnot

NEW DELHI - India's Tata Motors on Thursday unveiled the world's cheapest car, bringing new mobility within the reach of tens of millions of people and nightmares to environmentalists, traffic engineers and safety advocates.

Company Chairman Ratan Tata, introducing the Nano — price tag $2,500 — during India's main auto show, drove onto a stage in a white version of the tiny four-door subcompact, his head nearly scraping the roof.

With a snub nose and a sloping roof, it can fit five people — if they squeeze. And the basic version is spare: there's no radio, no passenger-side mirror and only one windshield wiper. If you want air conditioning to cope with India's brutal summers, you need to get the deluxe version.

Here's a thought. I could take one of these...things...and mount a mower blade under it and use it to cut my grass. Cheaper than a Deere. Uglier, but cheaper.

You know, this just isn't what I think when someone mentions "bodacious tatas." Maybe it's just me.

*yawn* so it's not an American supermuscle truck. Big flammin' deal. With gas prices never to come back down ... this is far smarter than the penile extensions most people drive.

triple/quadruple the price after you make it meet califonia emmision and saftey laws standards.

it would make nice little car for for towing behind your '74 VW-motor home.

*yawn* so it's not an American supermuscle truck. Big flammin' deal. With gas prices never to come back down ... this is far smarter than the penile extensions most people drive.

Then by all means, rush right out and git ya three or four. I'm sure it'll tow your mobile palace on those vacations. It probably gets 60-75 mpg. It might take you three weeks to get to the gas station, but hey, at least it's not a penile extension. Just pray to God you never accidentally hit a migrating goose in it. You'd be out three weeks pay to replace your vehicle.

Yeah, yeah. I heard the same thing about the Smart ... and then they outed a video of them testing it my slamming it into a concrete wall. They could still open the doors by hand.

And we're not talking about a tow rig. We're talking about replacing the soccer mom and corporate wage slave's drive to work. There's a place for full sized pickups. Driving one person to and from the office isn't it.

Well, unless said goose is sitting on a concrete wall, she'll need to replace the windshield, and probably change her panties too.

And we're not talking about a tow rig. We're talking about replacing the soccer mom and corporate wage slave's drive to work. There's a place for full sized pickups. Driving one person to and from the office isn't it.

I thought I was the only one who thinks that way :eek:

I know their labour costs are cheaper than dirt but still, $2500 for a car! What's it made out of, plastic?

more info on it

Air bags are expensive... plus, even though it meets "emissions norms" I'm guessing it doesn't have stuff like a catalytic converter, which adds a lot of cost to the car. USing cheap Indian labor helps, and it looks like the side windows are all flat glass, which is cheaper to make. It also looks like the interior doesn't have a lot of the trim pieces a normal interior has, which saves production costs and the time it takes to install them.

The official site

That interior looks pretty austere, all right.

One thing I know, I would rather buy one of those (air bags or not) than a scooter.

Back