Goodbye Concorde

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
This may be the last straw.

On Thursday, an Air France Concorde lost two pieces of its rudder on a Paris-New York flight but landed safely at John F. Kennedy airport.

Story

Too bad i never got to see those beasts flying over Mexico (banned before i was born).

BA said Thursday it had no plans to ground its Concordes following the Air France rudder incident. The airline said it carries out checks to its Concorde rudders above and beyond what is required of the airline, and that it was satisfied all safety procedures were in place.
News of the latest drama comes only a day after a press report said British Airways could scrap its fleet of Concordes because it is not making money.

British Airways, Europe's biggest airline, told CNN that the airline continually reviews its fleet but there are no immediate plans to halt Concorde flights.

Concorde has a certificate to fly until 2009 and "will continue to do so as long as it is safe, reliable and commercially viable," a BA spokesperson said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/27/concorde/index.html

By the sounds of it, this problem is a reoccurring thing.

It's called old age. Live fast, die young. And Concorde is about as fast as most of us will ever get.

That's a little scary for me, that thing flies right over my house every Saturday morning at about 9am. They are so much louder than regular planes, it's really noticeable. We can't hear the tv when they fly over.

greenfreak said:
They are so much louder than regular planes, it's really noticeable. We can't hear the tv when they fly over.

2 years ago I lived near some train tracks and they always seemed to go by blaring horns like crazy just when a very important bit of dialogue was happening on TV.

...and I found myself telling people on the phone "hold on, there's a train".

:D

But they have to blow that train whistle all through town so that people sleeping on the tracks will move.

It makes perfect sense that the Concorde is starting to fall apart. My 1981 Honda is about as old as some of the fleet, and it's certainly not in new condition either.

I've had to do that, to tell people to repeat things if there was a plane going overhead. It's loud enough that if the windows are open, I have a hard time hearing but I still am so used to it that I don't notice them otherwise. Unless it's the Concord which woke me up one Saturday that I decided to sleep in. I'm a heavy sleeper, nothing wakes me up usually. But that thing sure did.

I'm quite surprised that Concord isn't banned in the US, they banned it in here because of the noise.

I don't know about anywhere else they land but Kennedy Airport is really close to the ocean, there isn't as much land to fly over. I would assume if they fly into Boston, that the same thing could be said for Logan airport.

With few exceptions, I think the NYC area airports are the only places it's allowed. It came to the LA area once. just for a joyride & they put it in the farthest east airport available. Too noisy. Logan, maybe.

prodfrontdrawing.jpg

Back