Got another question for Nalani and Ku'u

Jeslek

Banned
How much do you pay for a big, ripe, juicy pineapple? And do you get litchis? Damn that stuff is so good but Canada doesn't know about them. What about:

- guavasteen
- carambola (starfruit, looks yellow)
- loquat (those are so good)
- persimmon, or kaki
- granadilla, or passion fruit

I love fruit and can go without bread / meat / that crap if I can just get plenty of fresh fruit! Hawai'i sounds so um, fruity on movies.

to be honest, I haven't paid for any of those fruits ... as far back as I can remember ...

pineapple is one of those things that when family comes from one of the pineapple-growing islands (Maui and Lana'i), they bring it along .. or they send it over. Ku'u has a few pineapple growing at home.

I'm not sure if what I interpret as the rest of your fruit list is what you mean but as far as:

guava and liliko'i (passion fruit) = grows wild - just pick and eat. YUMMY!
lychee - some people have prized trees and you can buy them in the store or from venders on the side of the road but I never have. I don't know how much they cost - sorry. Almost everyone knows someone who has a lychee tree or connections to a lychee tree ... again, it's one of those things that's "shared" .. when you have, you share. The same for star fruit (often called "Five Finger" here). There are some older Japanese men who literally guard their lychee and star fruit trees ... when we were little, we used to go and pick at this house down the road and he'd come out and chase us away :D ...

I don't know what a loquat is - I'm sure ku'u knows though.
persimmon doesn't grow here, not that I know of. I've had them in California - don't care much for the taste.

I know I haven't been very much help *L*

I get sweet hybrid pineapple free 'cause most of my Maui family works for Maui Land & Pineapple. :licklips:

Litchi/lychee is free too ... just go to someone's tree and pick 'em.

Guavasteen? Is that a fancy word for Guava? Those trees are like weeds here. Just go and pick 'em.

Starfruit is yummy ... don't know anybody with a tree though.

I heard of loquat, but don't know where to get 'em.

Persimmon or kaki? eh? :confuse3:

We have passionfruit, we call them liliko'i :licklips:

oh nice!! Litchis are my favorite of all the fruits. I can eat them by the buckets if I can find them and peel them fast enough, not to mention its nice and messy.

Peeling and sucking on lychee is half the fun.

Fruits I love, but refuse to buy 'cause I can pick 'em off some tree:
-mango
-avocado
-papaya
-lemon (is that a fruit?)
-tangerine
-mountain apple
-coconut (is that a fruit?)

Yes lemons and coconuts are fruits. I love coconuts. I had them often in Malaysia. You sort of chop a hole in the top and drink the juice inside. Very tasty, and very healthy.

Squeezed lemon juice is also very good, but should not be sweetened. :)

I like all of those fruits except avocado, which I find a bit squishy.

I LOVE starfruit, they're my favo(u)rite. :D I love lychees, but have you had rumbutan? (sp?) The prickly ones. Nice.

[quote="kuulani

Starfruit is yummy ... don't know anybody with a tree though.

[/quote]

I know where to find some. We used to get yells from the owner of the restaurant for picking them on the way home from school. *hands giving up* So okay, all 7 of us was tough to hide but it was worth the steal after running some ways up the road. The restaurant is closed down now but I believe the trees are still there. *light bulb*

Guava=Goiaba - not difficult to find here. My grandmother has it in abundance. She also has Loquats(Ameixa Amarela), Avocado(Abacate) and Kaki(Caqui, I hate this one). Fruits we have here at home:
Lemon(Limão)
Orange(Laranja)
Tangerine(Tangerina,Bergamota)
Grape(Uva)
Passionfruit(Maracujá, ours are not good in taste)
Jaboticaba(similar to a grape in color, a little bigger and harder, "explodes" when you bite'em - grews next to the trees's stalk)
My favourite fruit is called Araçá. It's red in color, a little sweet and acid at the same time. It grows in the wild...
I don't know what Litchi is :confused:

Goiaba = Guayaba
Abacate = Aguacate
Limão = Limón
Laranja = Naranja
Uva = Uva
Maracujá = Maracuya

i told you, portuguese and spanish are very alike :D

Back