Guh.

FluerVanderloo

I need some help here. I'm taking Ciprofloxacin for a bladder infection, and I'm not allowed to take any calcium or magnesium while on it, including Tums, my own personal cure-all.

After recently moving into school, my digestive tract is still adjusting to the low quality of food, and I've got gas to the point that my stomach has distended below the navel.

Anyone know of any gas relief that doesn't include calcium or magnesium?

Don't eat the crappy food.

If you are sensitive to something that is giving you gas, avoid it. Being gassy means that you aren't digeting something completly, and your intestinal bacteria are reaping the benfits, producing gas. Each person has different sesitivities, so you should work through a process of elimination. Some common ones are broccoli, onions, milk products and the infamous legume; the humble bean :)

And unfortunately, I can't avoid the food on campus as it is my only source of food, unless I had the money to eat elsewhere each night. The quality of the food at this school is atrocious all around. Nearly every student has had digestive issues, and many continue to do so.

Where can I find peppermint extract, Prof? Should I invest in Starlite mints or something of the sort?

That's not gonna help her now, tho.

It'll help her tomorrow though :) You can medicate and hide the symptoms that would let you know what you are sensitive to, or you can find out the root cause and end the problem.

Depends on how much of a hurry she is in and whether or not she has a roommate ;)

She's hurting now.

If you don't have it ... you might find it in the baking or spice aisle of the local supermarket. If you're legal, I personally get a large bottle from the liquor store, as it's a major ingredient of many drinks. Much cheaper that way too.

fluer, you might check at the store for some Gas-X. I'm not sure if it has the things you are trying to avoid in it or not. As for the peppermint extract, you should be able to find that at the grocery on the baking isle.

Anyone good in biology? (where the hell's our resident nurse when he's needed?) I never took bio, but I'm thinking that there's not much intestine below the navel. As I recall, there's only one bit of crossing large intestine, and that's right at the rectum so there shouldn't be much pressure there, unless you're blocked up.

Well, I'm also suffering a mild case of diarrhea. Mild in that I only have to go twice or three times in a day, and not much is passed.

I hope you don't leave out details like that when you talk to the doctor. Yeah, that'll make all the difference. Medication or not, you're probably heading for a o-ring blowout. Bring matches ... it's not gonna be pretty

Dude! This is the same board with a guy who knows exactly how many pounds of liquid shit come out when he gets diarrhea (five, for the record).

Actually, I'd call the doctor and let him know what's going on. The thing is, it may not be the food at school - painful stomach/gas pains and diarrhea are a side effect from the cipro itself. Been there, done that, got the tshirt - it was a living hell being on cipro. He may be able to change your medication. Drink a lot of water and if you're experiencing any other side effects, don't wait .. call your doctor.

Hope you feel better.

I've got a bottle of peppermint extract with a squeeze dropper. I put abbout 5-10 drops on a pile of crushed ice.

Tasty snow cone and it does wonders for my digestion when I need it.

Back