Having it both ways in Canada

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

Canada's department of public works has announced that it will stop hiring white people until the spring of 2006 in an effort to address the under-representation of minorities in the workforce, reports the Ottawa Sun.

David Marshall, Deputy Minister of Public Works Canada, put out a memo Friday detailing the department's "special measure." All outside applicants for work, the memo said, must be women, visible minorities, aboriginals or people with disabilities.

But the policy, he somehow concluded, "does not undermine the competition process for hiring personnel. It's still based on merit principle."

**end**

How can anyone with functional brain cells look at crap like this and not conclude that PC is the dumbest notion since the solar powered flashlight?

We decide to discriminate, but as long as we say it isn't discrimination, it's OK. Common sense is dead, y'all.

UPDATE

The Ottawa Sun says Canada's Department of Public Works has rescinded a "special order" that no white males be hired following outcry from the general public.

"While the measure proposed last week was short-term and not intended to be a ban on hiring individuals from non-designated groups, it could well lead to this impression," Deputy minister David Marshall said in a new memo. "As such, I am rescinding this measure immediately. Please accept my apologies."

**end**

Ya reckon?

I'd thought it was already that way with public jobs, and had been for years.

*confused*

oh well.

Is it still too late to apply for one of them-there job thingies? I'm close to retirement. ;)

from tonguetied.us

Canada's department of public works has announced that it will stop hiring white people until the spring of 2006 in an effort to address the under-representation of minorities in the workforce, reports the Ottawa Sun.

David Marshall, Deputy Minister of Public Works Canada, put out a memo Friday detailing the department's "special measure." All outside applicants for work, the memo said, must be women, visible minorities, aboriginals or people with disabilities.

But the policy, he somehow concluded, "does not undermine the competition process for hiring personnel. It's still based on merit principle."

**end**

How can anyone with functional brain cells look at crap like this and not conclude that PC is the dumbest notion since the solar powered flashlight?

We decide to discriminate, but as long as we say it isn't discrimination, it's OK. Common sense is dead, y'all.

S'n'P said:
And why is it that foreigners are so concerned about our government in the first place?

;)

but I agree, most idiotic thing ever.

Back