help me clean my (brass) necklace!

BlurOfSerenity

i have this brass pendant... it's one of those "pressed coin" ones....
and, as i said, tis brass.

it gets all dull and odd, tho.
my mom said to use toothpaste to clean it.
so i did, and it got the gunk and green stuff off it, but it was still dull.
that was two nights ago, and the green stuff has returned.

is there any other method of cleaning Brass that any of you know of?

You should apply a metal polish to keep it from oxidizing again. Then buff all the excess off real well...

There is a cotton wadding cleaner/polish for brass named Brasso. (how clever) If you are going to buy something, I highly recommend it. It will save you the ammonia hassle too. Just use the Brasso.

Yes, use Brasso. Be sure to do the cleaning in a well ventilated area... Brasso is some da stronga shit! Seriously... don't inhale too deeply. :)

Just use a cloth or paper towel. Brasso will blow your mind at how well it works.

you may want to apply a spray coat of "clear laquer" to it . Your skin coming into contact withthe Brass will oxidize it quickly.

i found this copper/brass cleaner under the sink, called Twinkle. it was kinda dry and crusty and old, but i used it.
i think the crust scratched some of the pendant, but it's still shiny and pretty :)

what can i use for laquer?
i have some polyurethane wha ti use when painting wood, and i have some spray "Workable Fixatif", that i use to make my drawings in my sketchbook not smudgy.
will eother of those do? or shall i get a different kind?

You should use clear laquer specifically. I think it would be the most durable.

Clear nailpolish would work if you have it. Just not as durable.

whee! i have clear nailpolish..... somewhere.....

here is a picture of the pendant.
i had it custom-pressed at a rennaisance festival.
the front is the Eye of Horus, and it is protective.
the back is the Phoenix, to remind me who i am. (if that makes any sense)

[attachment]http://www.otcentral.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=204768[/attachment]

Twinkle is usually used for cleaning silver. Brasso is great. I used to use it all the time in highschool when I wore a tooled leather belt with changable brass buckles. I've still got the buckles hereabouts, but the belt doesn't seem to fit anymore. And I'm damned if I'm gonna pay another hundred bucks to have another one made up.

Y'know what. I think I damn well am gonna get that tooled leather belt remade. I was looking at some of my buckles last week, and I still like them. Looks like it's time to track down a good leathersmith.

Back