Help me identify this Christmas song

Sleeping Giant

A few years ago, I heard on the radio a few times a particular Christmas song that I'd like to identify. Actually, I know the song; it's Silent Night. But I want to know who sang it, so I can download it wthout having to download the millions of versions of this popular Christmas tune. It was sung by someone with a very, very deep voice-- deeper than Barry White's. He sounded like he was probably African American. I believe that this guy singing Silent Night may have actually been in the middle of other people singing other Christmas songs in a sort of meddley. Help! Thanks! :)

unclehobart

There was also the one singer that just died. The activist/entertainer that Gato posted a thread about a few weeks ago. He was clean and deeeeep voiced.

EDIT: Paul Robeson

Sleeping Giant

Clean voice, not like Armstrong's at all. I wouldn't have thought Armstrong's voice was actually that deep. I'm going to have to see if I can find those other two singers' versions.

I would like to add that the more I try to remember it in my mind, the more I'm sure I remember that this deep voice singing Silent Night wasn't the only voice in the song. There were other, less-deep/more-normal voices singing as well, but I can't remember yet if they were singing Silent Night other Christmas songs. But not singing at the same time.

tonksy

try berl ives....that might be it...he sings(sang?) with others frequently....where is chic when you need him?

Sleeping Giant

Just tried the Nat King Cole version...That's not it. I'm talking DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP deep. Think Michael Clarke Duncan singing "Leaving on a Jet Plane" (or whatever that song is called) in Armageddon. Maybe even deeper.

Sleeping Giant

I can't tell; I can't find him doing Silent Night on Kazaa. I did see some other song names I recognized, like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen", and going only on my memory of those songs, I don't think it's him.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'd almost think it would have to be Robeson if your talking deeper than Barry White. Any farther and the frequency would cause earthquakes and such. :retard:

chcr

Too cute for words
Coukd be Josh White. I know he did a Christmas album. Don't think I ever heard it, but I can hear him singing "Burn Baby Burn" in my head even now.