Help needed

IDLEchild

Help needed

Someone with a good ear and a knowledge of wide variety of music instruments may be able to help me out with this.

I recently heard this wonderful piece done on this instrument i can't exactly put my finger on. I am pretty sure it is the flute but chances are very likely it wasn't. This instrument had a more bass filled sound to it.

I heard this piece in a Futurama episode. The one where Fry makes a deal with the robot devil for his hands so he could woo Lila with an opera about her. Fry uses this instrument which produces the most beautiful sounds. The music sounds Indian or very Arabian. They do mention the name of the instrument in the show but i forgot the name and I doubt the instrument might be fake...if it is then something had to make those gorgeous sounds.....

anybody have any idea what instrument that was or where i could get a hold of that piece or similar music.

The most similar thing i have heard was an instrument used in the music for the game MYST.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

No, that is too deep....that sounds like a bottle being blown into....almost a grizzley like sound. This one had a smooth, rounded albeit base filled sound.....i hope this makes sense

Inkara1 said:
Oboe, perhaps?
i was thinking this too! like in peter and the wolf? i wish i still had a copy of that for my girls....*adds to list of things to look for.

Squiggy said:
That could be a panflute

Could be but in this it isn't

It is a North Indian Bamboo Flute....its original name is Bansuri. Traditionally it is 14 inches long made of a bamboo stick with 6 holes burned through. There are no keys to produce notes, instead it is all done through breathing and unique fingering (blocking air to produce notes). It is limited to two octaves.

A 30 inch version was created by its innovator for orchestras to fully accompany and recreate the Ragas.....it has an extra 7th hole.

Beautiful instrument.

That Peter and the Wolf reference reminded me the oboe was too high of a pitch. I was really thinking of the bassoon. Obviously that was still wrong, but I figured I should still clarify.

Back