Help, now!!!!!

IDLEchild

A quick question.

I have a Western Digital HD installed on my PC already...120.gb 7200RPM. What I want to know is can i install another Hd wit han already working one. It is Maxtor 120.gb 7200 RPM....will i have problems?...i need a answer fast seeing as how i need to mail the rebate in fairly quickly and once i open the box i can not return it.

I will provide further details if needed. Thanks.

If you have a spare channel, yes.
If you don't have a spare channel but on one channel there's only one drive, yes.

Otherwise, no.

|As long as you can set the new drive as the slave and attach to the current IDE cable as such, you should be fine. That would be the most likely solution. Make sure the jumpers on the back of the new drive are set to be the slave. You can find out jumper settings by either the manual or the back of the drive may have them as well.

Luis G said:
If you have a spare channel, yes.
If you don't have a spare channel but on one channel there's only one drive, yes.

Otherwise, no.

I am 99.9% sure that i have two extra bays for two more HD....but i am a PC dunce so I am very likely wrong.

Buttcrackdivine said:
I am 99.9% sure that i have two extra bays for two more HD....but i am a PC dunce so I am very likely wrong.

The bays aren't really the issue. I think Luis G was referring to the space available on the motherboard.

Buttcrackdivine said:

How many HDDs do you have?
How many CD/DVD/RW drives do you have?

Not bays (though that helps). How many HDDs do you have now? If it's one, you can most likely add another to the same cable that is used for disk 1. Set the new HDD as slave & fill that puppy up.

woodman19_99 said:
The bays aren't really the issue. I think Luis G was referring to the space available on the motherboard.

Yeah??? ok so that i do not know of but considering what i have seen of my PC opened i would wager a guess that i have an avaliable space.

Can i keep the slave drive to a complete 120 or is it better to have a partition? My working one is separated in two at 55.5 each.

I think it is personal prefernce how you want too arrange things on the new drive. Personally, I like the partitioned idea because it allows me to stay more organized. I know where my stuff is on each drive. Having gone throw dealing with a 200GB unpartioned drive, I can say that a partitioned drive has been pretty nice.

BCD said:
Can i keep the slave drive to a complete 120 or is it better to have a partition?

Yes & that's up to you. Smaller partitions supposedly access quicker but what's a few milliseconds between friends?

I didn't see the other reply about only one HD, but you should be able to set the new drive as a slave and just hook it up to the open space on the cable currently being used for the Hard Drive in place. Hope this helps a little.

woodman19_99 said:
I didn't see the other reply about only one HD, but you should be able to set the new drive as a slave and just hook it up to the open space on the cable currently being used for the Hard Drive in place. Hope this helps a little.

Helps a lot..*crosses fingers*....lets see if this works.

Buttcrackdivine said:
One so far.

One DVD drive and one CD-RW drive.

That means that if you only have 2 IDE channels (which is most likely the case) you will only be able to connect one more IDE device, your new HDD. :)

Back