Helpless & feeble

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's no wonder that some folks believe we're going (or have already made it to) hell in a handbasket. Folks have been convinced they need to call for help for everything from a scratch to something called survivors guilt.

In todays local paper, there's two stories about the upcoming jump to daylight savings time...something Indiana hasn't participated in for quite awhile. Of Course, they made it sound like life, as we know it, may well end if not for the helpful media guide to getting thru a timechange without hurting yourself. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to self-sufficiency & the ability for self-preservation?

In the past during the daylight-saving time months, 10 counties observed Central Daylight Time, 77 counties were on Eastern Standard Time and five counties voluntarily chose Eastern Daylight Time.

Now 18 counties will observe Central Daylight Time and 74 counties will observe Eastern Daylight Time.
Story one (front page no less)

Changing timesHow to cope with next weekend’s time change

In 1971, there were no digital clocks embedded in coffeemakers or entertainment systems. The state-of-the art car audio system featured an 8-track tape player. No cell phones, VCRs, PDAs, PCs, DVDs, CDs or MP3s.
It was a blissfully analog world 35 years ago – the last time northeast Indiana residents had to change their clocks to observe daylight-saving time. Many Hoosiers younger than 40 have no memories of having ever gone through the spring forward, fall back routine, other than to adjust TV viewing habits.
Next weekend, then, will be a technophobe’s nightmare. For the first time, hundreds of thousands of Hoosiers will do daylight-saving time in the digital age. Some will be frustrated, some will be annoyed, and many will be surprised to realize just how many clocks they have.

Story 2

Our little Y2K: Time-shift OutlookCompanies need to be aware of Microsoft calendar glitches

Oops, make that 3 stories

Switching time around is such a pain in the ass. However, it saves millions in electricity costs and farmers love having more daylight hours.

ekahs retsam said:
having more daylight hours.

That's the biggest fable about this whole DST crap.

Farmers have headlights on their John Deere combines. If the Amish can't get up earlier...well too damned bad. Get electricity there Ezekiel.

It's time to drop DST altogether.

The whole concept of DST has always baffled me. Do businesses open later? Does it really have any kind of impact whatsoever? There are only so many hours in a day - what you do with them is your problem, but I don't see how something like DST could possibly aid anyone.

I think it comes down to people wanting to wake up at some semblance of dawn instead of full blasting sunshine... if even for an extra 2 months. Here in Atlanta, there is relatively full sunshine by 615am. Shooting the time forward gives an extra bit of a 'sleepytime' feeling.... at least for those within 200 miles of where I live east to west and 500 miles north to south.

Daylight patterns are flat out different everywhere. Changing is good for some and silly for others. Places closer to the poles, like Canada, have such a vicious day/night swing through the year that no semblance of daylight savings will do any good.

Gonz said:
That's the biggest fable about this whole DST crap.

Farmers have headlights on their John Deere combines.

It's time to drop DST altogether.

Typically short sighted and self serving. Nice to see ya Gonz! :lloyd:

When DST was enacted, farmers didn't have John Deere combines.

I am reasonably certain no one stopped to consider what a hassle moving a clock twice a year would impose on your life. Else they would have defeated it outright in the name of all things righteous.

That being said, DST has indeed outlived its usefulness and should be retired.

Oh, is that what happened? Damn. I thought it was jsut the battery in my pager had given up the ghost. Or that one of the boys had managed to change the hour. So much for my getting into work early this morning.

Back