Here's a question for all y'all...

Inkara1

Anyone know a way to kill mold on a carpet without bleach?

I'd noticed my car has had a musty odor lately, but couldn't figure out why. I thought it had to do with the mysteriously wet stuff in the trunk.

Well, as it turns out, the footwell for the passenger-side back seat was wet, and had been for a long time as far as I could tell. The carpet had started to grow mold, in fact. I'm trying to get it dry for now, but I need to know a way to kill the mold without having to bleach the carpet (it's dark gray) and without having to spend the money to replace it.

My best guess is that the suddenly wet car has something to do with the drunk tweakers and other new year's drama I've mentioned elsewhere. It was raining on and off the whole night and drunk tweakers tend to have a hard time completely closing windows, doors and trunks.

Buy a mildew remover... it does contain bleach but it probably won't effect the carpet as badly as the real deal... they're normally for the bathroom and come in a spray gun form (well they do over here in Blighty)

Other than that.. try white vinegar, lemon juice diluted with a bit tap water... that mixture will remove anything! Its what great great gandma would have used! :D

rip it up and get new carpet. mold will just come back over and over unless you can kill it properly.

A quick google search has turned up something called Tea Tree Oil. It's supposed to be a great mold killer, so I'll have to give that a try. It's expensive, I hear, but it certainly can't cost anywhere near as much as a new carpet for a 2000 Dodge Neon... the same car that windshield replacement costs $372 on, after all.

sponge brush hydrogen peroxide into the carpet, let sit for 15, wetvac. Let dry. hit it with Lysol. If persistent, repeat.

You can't kill it. That battle's over. You can, however, deal with the odor. We use a product called Odo-ban. It works.

I'm with Unc. It will continue to come back, but at least it's a cheap way to battle with it untill you can get new carpet.

Are you up for a challenge? Try the magneto from a microwave oven. If it doesn't kill it, it'll mutate it into a higher lifeform that doesn't smell as much.

Well, things seem to be better for now after drying the carpet out completely and spraying it with the tea tree oil, and later on, febreze. We'll see how that holds up.

There's no way I could fit the carpet in the microwave because it's one piece for the entire floorboard.

Back