Hey chcr?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I'm kinda sittin around bored, and me mind got to drifting, as we old farts are known to have happen.

Do you ever get down to [local parlence] SHEH'-vuhl [/parlence] much? Cuz right about now I think I'd pay cost plus shipping for one of those coconut creme pies from Pope's. For such a small, out of the way town, they had some of the best local eateries I ever graced. Pope's was good, them Hispanics what opened up the Greek and Italian place on the far end of town (Rafael's I think it is), the Mexican restaurant on the corner of the two highways...

Maybe I'm just hungry. :shrug:

For such a small, out of the way town, they had some of the best local eateries I ever graced.

They have some good ones. It's all the walkin' horse people don'tcha know. In my experience though, if it's pie you're after the out of the way, small town places frequently have the best. Marie Callender's being a glaring exception of course. No, I don't get to Shelbyville ;) much. We don't have a store there anymore. Used to go every other month or so, but not for a few years.

And I noticed on my recent trips down thataways, Toots is in every town around now. What gives?

They grew. You know there's even one in Cincinnati now. Good place for a burger (or frog legs) and a beer or to watch a game. Word get's around. I'm not that fond of their wings though.

Odd. I prefer their wings over Hooters'.

I knew they had franchised out. Bowling Green, Cincy, and somewhere else. I looked into putting one in Pigeon Forge, with some other investors, once upon a time. Too steep. But Smyrna and Lebanon?

Odd. I prefer their wings over Hooters'.

I knew they had franchised out. Bowling Green, Cincy, and somewhere else. I looked into putting one in Pigeon Forge, with some other investors, once upon a time. Too steep. But Smyrna and Lebanon?

I prefer just about anything to Hooters. Slick Pig has better wings but then, I prefer barbecue wings. I like hot mexican food (asian too) but I've never been a big fan of hot wings.

Re Smyrna and Lebanon, I know, seems close by but they're always full up. "Good food and fun" is a winning combination. A nice selection of beer don't hurt none either. ;)

Hooters = overpriced beer & bad oysters but the scenery is kinda nice.

I'm not sure that I would want a sandwich containing anything to do with that kind of pulled pork...

.....while that wouldn't be the main reason, I do suppose that could be a complaint one would make.

Hooters = overpriced beer & bad oysters but the scenery is kinda nice.

Toot's is a relatively local franchise very similar to Hooter's, started in middle Tennessee. You didn't really earn your MTSU diploma until you nailed a Toot's waitress. Better food than Hooter's with equal sleaze factor.

I've eaten at a Toots I think. Isn't there one near the Nissan plant somewhere up in Smyrna? ... somewhere 'round there? They had some pretty decent fried shellfish.

Toot's is a relatively local franchise very similar to Hooter's, started in middle Tennessee. You didn't really earn your MTSU diploma until you nailed a Toot's waitress. Better food than Hooter's with equal sleaze factor.

It's changed, SnP. The foods still pretty good but they've dialed back the sleaze factor several notches. They still have pretty waitresses, but they don't dance on the bar (or do the hula hoop trick) and they try to project more of a family atmosphere nowadays.

Gonz, re Hooters, my take has always been if you want titties and beer go to a titty bar, if you want to eat go where the food is good. At Hooters that never actually show you their tits and the food sucks. Worst of both worlds.

Inky, you need to get someone from the south to take you somewhere where they serve barbecue. I can make a better pulled pork sandwich than Hooters with a crockpot, a can of soup and some spices any time, and I'm not really that good a cook. Y'all want that on cornbread? Hot sauce or the girlie kind? ;)

Back