Hey, SL!

HomeLAN

Braves wind up the season with a three-fer at Wrigley, with the Cubs in a heat for the wildcard and us not really wanting to face both Kerry Wood and Mark Prior in round one of the post-season. Hmm.

They've been the only decent team on our schedule outside of the Marlins this whole month which has given us the inside track at the wild card, and fortunately those games will likely be meaningless for you guys, although you could be fighting with the Dodgers for second best record. If you do end up with second best record and we win the wild card, we'll finish the season against each other as well as begin the playoffs against each other. Repeat of last year? :p

Not really, he's struggling for .250 this year. He made possibly the catch of his life last night with the bases loaded and 2 out in the eighth in our 1-0 win, though, that was simply awesome. :cool: One more thing going our way is that the Dodgers are free falling, and with them playing the Giants 6 more times and they're a game apart for their division, that means if one of them wins most of them, they'll likely go on to win the West while the other will have lost those games meaning we'd gain ground on them in the WC hunt. Basically, the worst that can happen for the Cubs is if they totally split 3-3. The standings of the teams going into tonight (the Cubs already won this afternoon) already look like this:

Code:
          W  L  GB

Dodgers  86 65  -
Giants   86 66 0.5
Cubs     86 66 0.5
Astros   83 69 3.5

We're officially eliminated today. :( We lost 3 of 4 to the Reds at home and looked horrible while doing that, and after that we didn't deserve it.

Despite that, with just today and tomorrow left in the season, not one divisional series is totally set. Dodgers have 92 wins and are playing their final 2 games against the Giants with 90 wins. The Astros also have 90 wins with 2 games to go. A 3 way tie for 2 playoff spots is possible. If the Dodgers and Giants do end up tied but the Astros aren't tied with them, the Giants are declared the division winner because they have a better record against the Dodgers and would play the Braves in the first round while the Dodgers play the Cardinals. If the 3 way tie occurs, the Giants and Dodgers would have to play a deciding game to determine the NL West winner and the loser of that would then have to play the Astros for the Wild Card title. If the Giants and Astros just themselves end up in a tie for the Wild Card they'll have a deciding game too. Whatever happens from those ties, if the Astros are the Wild Card, they'll play the Braves in the first round and the NL West winner will play the Cardinals.

Meanwhile, in the AL, the AL West is still up for grabs as the Angels lead by a game over the Athletics and have 2 games left to play against them. Another interesting thing about this is that the Angels and Twins have identical records ATM, and whoever ends up with the better record after these last 2 games will play the Red Sox while the other plays the Yankees, and if the AL West winner and the Twins end up tied, the Twins lose the tiebreakers with both the Angels and Athletics and would have to play the Yankees while the AL West sinner plays the Red Sox.

Everyone got all that? :D

...so the Angels will want to lose the last game, then. They seem to play better against the Yankees than the Red Sox.

Gonna be us against the Astros first. For some reason, Houston has always been a PITA for us, even when we've had the much better team.

Sorry you're sidelined, SL.

Beware of the Astros, I don't know what the hell they're on, but they've been unbeatable at home, they won their last 16 there or something. I bet the Cardinals will be gone in the first round, they remind me a lot of last year's Braves team, the pitching will suddenly give up and the hitting will be shut down by great pitching (nobody beats Gagne). My brother is rooting against the Red Sox because he feels that if we have to suffer, they should too. I wonder if his ex-GF is a Red Sox fan... :D Go Twins! Hope the ex-Cub factor bites the Yankees in the ass! I'll laugh my ass off when Heredia and/or Gordon blow games for you! I miss Lieber though...

Just so long as the Yanks don't make it, I don't really care about the AL.

Sorry, chcr, but you know my feelings on NYY

HomeLAN said:
Just so long as the Yanks don't make it, I don't really care about the AL.

Sorry, chcr, but you know my feelings on NYY

Sure I do, and you know mine so you'll understand when I say bite me. :lloyd:

Back