HEY!!!! YOU HAWAIIAN FOLKS...

Actually, I think its always growing... but its in a bit of a chase with all of the polar ice melt for the active waterline.

some goofy cable TV show...he's a bounty hunter in Hawaii & his wife has massive, humongous, gigantic hooters. I mean BIG, as in HUGE

Yeah, this girl has to use a sheet and some industrial strength bungee cords to support those babies...

boy has this thread drifted off topic...

You're right - it's been pretty bad here in the islands. We've had a system of low pressure to the south of the island chain for weeks and it's kept the front from moving on. We haven't seen the sun for more than a 5 minute stretch in weeks. Here on Hawai'i island we haven't been all that bad - lots of ponding and flash food watches/warnings, landslides, bad road conditions, high surf, etc. I think the worst was a car accident my girlfriend was in 2 weeks ago in one of our famous 'horseshoe' gulches with her two daughters. She lost her 5 year-old; the other, 11 years old, was crushed from the pelvis down, broke both legs and her jaw but has gone through a myriad of surgeries and is doing well now. She didn't see the 'stream' of water moving across the road from the hills that wall the turn and hyrdroplaned, hitting a county bus. That's one of the really scary things out here - even if it isn't pouring cats and dogs, the land is already so saturated that you don't realize how bad, flooded and slippery the roads can be.

Kaua'i and O'ahu (on the other end of the archipelago) are eating it big time. Streams are wiping out yards - the dam that broke washed away entire households. This just isn't the kind of thing that happens here, you know? I mean -it's what we see on television that happened thousands of miles away. I know in comparison that we're very lucky - only 7 casualties from the dam breaking, 2 have been recovered so far. Only a few homes washed away to where, looking at the place now, you'd never think there was a home there once-upon-a-time. But still .. it's surreal.

But I guess I haven't answered your question - yes, we're good. A little damp, but ok. :)

Jeez na. What`s the status? Is it starting to recede now or is it still in the midst of occuring?

Leslie said:
Jeez na. What`s the status? Is it starting to recede now or is it still in the midst of occuring?

It's hard to tell, actually. It's been going on so steadily - hard rain, light rain, constantly - that light rain for more than an hour is causing flooding. If you go to the weatherchannel.com and put in our zip code (96720) you'll see the doppler radar near the bottom of the page. Kaua'i (where it says "Lihue") is just covered by light-intense rain and our island is just a constant rain, occassionally heavy. Even if the rain subsides, the land is just saturated and busting at the seams. A few weeks ago, O'ahu got the brunt of the last system and the windward side was just washed away, but luckily there were no casualties.

Back