Hillary Clinton: U.S. Weakened by Debt

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tell her & her friends to send a check...

ATTN DEPT G
BUREAU OF THE PUBLIC DEBT
P O BOX 2188
PARKERSBURG, WV 26106-2188

MrBishop

Ad hominem

How about discussing the economic realities that she's bringing up instead of slamming the messenger?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
OK...OCT '06 GDP $13trillion+. Unemployment 4.6%. Prime Rate 8.25% DJIA 12,080.73

Debt ceiling $9 trillion (currently about 8.25T)

We're better off than most housholds in debt holdings.

MrBishop

Ok... so, you're approx. 8.2 trillion$ in debt, most of it owned by China, the rest by the World Bank.

China...the next financial superpower, currently has the current financial superpower by the short and curlies (financially speaking). They're expanding their use of oil, metals, wood etc..their imports of wheat, grains, meat etc...at an alarming rate. Now... when faced with two potential purchasers for the same product (oil, for instance), who do you choose to sell to? The debtor or the creditor?

This doesn't bother you?

Inkara1

China's doing a lot more to fuck up the environment than we are... I'd like to see Al Gore try to sell his book over there, though.

MrBishop

China's doing a lot more to fuck up the environment than we are... I'd like to see Al Gore try to sell his book over there, though.

That's basically why they need more non-renewable resources. That they're still a 'communist' nation instead of a full-blown capitalist nation is the only thing holding them back from crushing nations (financially) underfoot. I don't see that lasting forever.

GDP - $8.89T with a 9.9% growth rate annually :eek3:

Professur

Just a footnote. I heard on the radio on the way home last night an interview with a spokesman from Alcan. China's beat out the US as the major importer of Aluminium and they're projecting growth of 20% annually. At the rate china's imports are growing, they'll not hold the purse strings long, And they'll never survive intact as anything other than a 'red' country. Russia was better set up as "red" with half the US population, and they imploded trying to make the jump. China's got 10 times as many people.

highwayman

MrBishop said:
This doesn't bother you?

What bothers me is that China inports the raw material and exports finished products. That on the surface makes perfect "cents". The exception is that they do not import very much finished products, say cars/trucks and lightbulbs. It appears to me that the cash is going one way and usualy is a two way door.

Professur

What bothers me is that China inports the raw material and exports finished products. That on the surface makes perfect "cents". The exception is that they do not import very much finished products, say cars/trucks and lightbulbs. It appears to me that the cash is going one way and usualy is a two way door.
What bothers me is that they export a very second rate, barely servicable product, and american consumers lap it up like mother's milk ... sending US manufacturers out of business. I see it every day on a welding site I frequent. Yet another moron bought the cheap ass chinko arc/tig/plasma combo unit and is suprised when half the connections got knocked loose in shipping. Or the HF mill-lathe combo that can't cut straighter than pinking shears. Or any one of a thousand other cope outs.

Anyone frequent dollar stores? You're doing more damage to your economy than any war, or any president ever did.

I ask you, when's the last time anyone here bought anything and expected it to last 10 years? Or even wanted it to?

highwayman

What bothers me is that they export a very second rate, barely servicable product, and american consumers lap it up like mother's milk ... sending US manufacturers out of business. I see it every day on a welding site I frequent. Yet another moron bought the cheap ass chinko arc/tig/plasma combo unit and is suprised when half the connections got knocked loose in shipping. Or the HF mill-lathe combo that can't cut straighter than pinking shears. Or any one of a thousand other cope outs.

This is the consumers fault, they buy the bottom end bargen basement unit and expect high end performance..Hell I am guilty in buying the cheap shit too, only when I don't think I will use it more then a couple times before it rusts in the corner and consider myself lucky if it last 5 uses before it breaks...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Good. I hope we tear th eshit out of the environement. Then we can all die & quit listening to people piss & moan about how bad the US is.

MrBishop

According to this
http://globalis.gvu.unu.edu/indicator_detail.cfm?country=US&indicatorid=13

China has far less ecological impact per person than the US.

Wait until their Hydroelectric dams go up... then you'll see a difference. They're relocating upwards of 1 million people for just one of them.

While its true that as individuals, they have a smaller footprint, as a whole, their env. impact is profound and getting worst. 30% growth year over year of car ownership alone will have a huge impact within this decade.

It'll get worst as they try to drag themselves into the 'First world'.

* One example of their policies going awry is their population-control methods. Limiting the number of children per household was supposed to make consumption more tolerable...what it did was increase the number of families (smaller), which increased the number of households, homes (wood-use to build those homes), vehicles (and the gas to burn for them), home-electronics (more stoves, fridges etc.), more roads and all that good stuff.

Their consumption-level per household is up a bit and rising, but when you take in the fact that the number of households is increasing, the math becomes scary. :eek3:

Professur

Another big problem the chinese face is that although they've got the third largest country in terms of landmass, fully a third of it is useless for development. Right now, their biggest troubles revolve around water. They had a major chemical spill into a water supply just this week, and only a few weeks back had one of the major water courses running red from an unidentified contaminant.

highwayman

China has far less ecological impact per person than the US.

Per person? China has a problem with over population..

http://www.cpirc.org.cn/en/enews20060107.htm
BEIJING, Jan.7 - China's population and family planning minister said here on Friday that China will work to limit its mainland population below by 1.37 billion 2010.

Since China has a higher population then what America has the impact per person would be lower with the higher populated country...

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#People

Population:
298,444,215 (July 2006 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 20.4% (male 31,095,847/female 29,715,872)
15-64 years: 67.2% (male 100,022,845/female 100,413,484)
65 years and over: 12.5% (male 15,542,288/female 21,653,879) (2006 est.)
Median age:
total: 36.5 years
male: 35.1 years
female: 37.8 years (2006 est.)
Population growth rate:
0.91% (2006 est.)

Professur

Let's not overlook the fact that 30% of the US (and most western countries) population will die off unreplaced within the next 20 years, based on current birth rate projections.