Hives.

Altron

About a month back, my dad picked up a two-pack of Old Spice Red Zone deodorant on clearance. We each used a stick. On the 3rd, my dad got a bad rash under his arms, which lasted until about the 11th. On the 4th, I got a rash under one arm. It spread to the other, then to my sides, then to my arms, then to my chest, then to my hands, then to my shoulders, then to my face.

About two days ago, I started taking two tablets of Benadryl every six hours, along with two cold showers a day. It helped a little, but as soon as the Benadryl wears off, it itches like crazy.

So, I'm going to go see the doctor, but does anyone here have advice?

Quit using the deodorant :)

Calamine lotion might help, but you'd have to practically bath in it to reach everywhere. Otherwise, get used to living life in a benadryl haze for a bit.

sounds more like it might be a case of contact dermatits. see the doc. they have all the good stuff. :)

Yep it ain't no hives I know the hives when I see 'em!

The-Hives.jpg

That`s definitely not hives. I would try cornstarch on it. Nothing but cornstarch. Pat it on dry, shake, leave it alone. That should relieve it until you get to a doctor.

*thinking it sounds more like poison ivy or poison oak*

Stop using the deodorant dude. Better to be stinky than itchy....or not...but anyway, don't use anything (especially not alcohol based) until the rash is gone, no good aggravating it.

I would even avoid the cornstarch and use a nice inert talc.

If the rash doesn't shore up in a day or two, or gets worse, go to a doc in the box and get a steroid shot. It will make it heal faster than you can say 'Barry Bonds'.

I quit using it about a week ago... my brother has the spray-on flavor, and I'm spraying it onto the outside of my clothes.

The symptoms are a lot like poison ivy, but I have no idea where I could have gotten poison ivy from. I haven't been in the woods in a while, and how I could get poison ivy under my shirt while not in the woods is beyond me.

Funny, I get that if I use any heavily scented deodorant. Unfortunately, I think for me, it has something to do with the Aluminum Zirconium element that is found in almost every popular deodorant. I have been relegated to using Tom's of Maine, which is an all natural, but doesn't hold up as well as other deodorants...

Old Spice deoderant gives my pits a rash too. I switched to Speed Stick anti-persperant/deoderant and all is well.

Altron said:
About a month back, my dad picked up a two-pack of Old Spice Red Zone deodorant on clearance. We each used a stick. On the 3rd, my dad got a bad rash under his arms, which lasted until about the 11th. On the 4th, I got a rash under one arm. It spread to the other, then to my sides, then to my arms, then to my chest, then to my hands, then to my shoulders, then to my face.

About two days ago, I started taking two tablets of Benadryl every six hours, along with two cold showers a day. It helped a little, but as soon as the Benadryl wears off, it itches like crazy.

So, I'm going to go see the doctor, but does anyone here have advice?
Am I the only one wondering why you're using deodorant on your face?

Professur said:
Am I the only one wondering why you're using deodorant on your face?

Erm, as I said in the first post, it started spreading to nearby skin. Think throwing a rock in the pond. The outsides get ripples, even though they didn't get hit. It's like that.

I went to the doctor, he gave me tons of medicine. There's these little green pills that I am supposed to take twice a day, little white pills that I need to take six times a day, then five times a day, and so on. Then there's this cream that I need to put on.

unclehobart said:
I would even avoid the cornstarch and use a nice inert talc.

If the rash doesn't shore up in a day or two, or gets worse, go to a doc in the box and get a steroid shot. It will make it heal faster than you can say 'Barry Bonds'.
Wow. Now there's a thought. Unc gets Poison Ivy. Slaps on the cornstarch, immediatly swells to the size of Orson Wells.

Altron said:
I went to the doctor, he gave me tons of medicine. There's these little green pills that I am supposed to take twice a day, little white pills that I need to take six times a day, then five times a day, and so on. Then there's this cream that I need to put on.
ok...so your taking prednisone on a taper and have some cortisone type cream for the itch....what are the green ones? antibiotics?

The six little white pills beat the shit out of the rash. Usually things take like two days to kick in. These took two hours.

The little green pills are 'To calm you before surgery' or something, according to the pharmacist. Dunno why the doctor prescribed them.

Back